Overwhelming Lawn Mower Choices

minkyung

Threads
I see many designs and models of lawn mowers. They all look the same :smile: I wonder which brands have quieter engines. I also wonder which brands consume less fuel. Any idea? Thank you.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The type of grass/weeds you have to mow will dictate the 'type' mower you will need.
The amount of time you want to spend mowing will show the size you need.

The best muffler system and smallest engine needed to accomplish the task, will be the quietest and most efficient... :smile:KennyV

Twinkle

Threads
I would say that electric mowers are quieter than gas fuelled, not sure if they are cheaper to run though. Maybe if you post more about your situation it will be easier to find information? (I also once read that Honda claim to make 'the quietest' mowers, for what it's worth.)

Driller

Threads
It's so subjective, but I feel your buyer's pain. It's like TV. Life was simpler when we had 3 or 4 choices. Now we have over a hundred as a rule. It's over kill in ways and makes decisions tougher, not easier.

mois25

Threads
A noisy mower is a huge distraction; I sometimes prefer to have some headphones on, to counter the distraction. Maybe if you narrowed down to what you really want, it would be easier to make a choice.

minkyung

Threads
Thank you for replies, friends. I am comparing ride-on mower vs walk-behind mower for the landscape maintenance business my friend and I are thinking of doing.

If lawn mowing becomes the business, you hear the engine everyday. Quieter one, I think, will help you hear things til you grow old :)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Quieter one, I think, will help you hear things til you grow old :)

That's very true... I wish I would have taken better care of my hearing...
Use a quiet machine AND wear hearing protection... :smile:KennyV

Rocky

Threads
I would suggest that you set your criteria for "must have" qualities and features you require, including price of course. Then shop it locally and talk to the people who know the product lines well.

mois25

Threads
Have you looked up Honda Engines? The Honda GCV160 has a quiet yet powerful combination. For this reason, you can combine its use for residential mowers as well as pressure washers.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see many designs and models of lawn mowers. They all look the same :smile: I wonder which brands have quieter engines. I also wonder which brands consume less fuel. Any idea? Thank you.

Personally I don't believe you'll find any lawnmowers that are quiet, :smile: at least gas operated mowers. The smaller push mowers (5hp and less ) maybe a little more tolerable because of the smaller engines and IMO the Honda engines on smaller mowers give you the best fuel consumption.

The larger walk behinds IMO would be next inline with the 15hp and less. If you're looking at riders I would have to say the Tractor type would be the noisiest of the riders because of the front engine placement.

The ZTR (zero turn ) mowers are less noisy to the operator again because of the engine placement. As to which brands consume less fuel, that's hard to say because they're to many variables involved in the running of riding mowers.

Some people will say that the tractor type mower will be the cheapest to run.... but in reality it may not be. If you use the typical home owner on his 20hp tractor and say it takes him 30 minutes to mow his lawn, then let a lawn care person with a 20hp Ztr do the same lawn and it only takes him 15 minutes to do the same lawn, who's using more gas?View attachment 806

Engine displacement, Maintenance, Mower type, Operator, all these things and more play a part in fuel consumption they're just to many variables to tell what gets the best fuel consumption.