Overlapping cuts

Hoss

Threads
I've heard that it's best to overlap your cuts by at least 10%. Personally, I find that 25% works even better. How much do you overlap your cuts?

dria

Threads
Here I go again feeling stupid! Hah, luckily 98% of people here are kind and humor my stupid questions! The question is, what is an overlapping cut?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
what is an overlapping cut?

The amount of the deck that you have overhanging the previous mowed path... so you don't skip a thin streak of uncut grass between passes :frown:...

Generally 10 percent should work out ... but the faster you go the more you usually have to overlap to avoid those stray missed strips...
I generally 'try' to net around 5 and a half foot cut on a 6 foot deck... I find if I try going too fast, I loose most of what I gained by having to increase my overlap...:smile:KennyV

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Call me a risk-taker but I tried to overlap as little as possible to maximize cutting width. Then again, I was mowing 10 acres every week, so it became a time issue. 10% extra on 10 acres adds up.

FWIW my deck had about 1" of clearance between the blade and the sidewall of the deck. So I'd overlap a few inches tops.

pollyannasmum

Threads
I always overlap 50% and this is because I am never sure where the edges of my mower blades are because the wheels stick out at the sides. I know, I'm a little bit blonde. :laughing:

littleAudrey

Threads
I will admit something to you now. I don't mow in straight lines! Is that heretical? My husband says I mow like I'm hoovering the carpet, so now you know how I do it! :laughing:

stanley

Threads
Unless you have a GPS unit mounted on your mower that is wired to your drivetrain, you're not going to mow a straight path.:laughing: I don't know of anybody that does.

briggs

Threads
I over lap 10% works good for me