One jet fell out of the pickup tube

Poodlehead

Threads
Didn't ask for that PN.

Briggs 841653 / Kawasaki 92055-7016 should be the correct one.
Well in my head I thought I did 😀. I guess there's not a JD number? I hate paying shipping, but...

Anyway, I'm going to order the kit (54832) that Forest#2 provided. It is only $7, plus $6 shipping.

I got a couple other items so I feel better about shipping...

I will update all when I have more info...

Thank you all for the input and help!

Forest#2

Threads
Dude if it is a Nikki Six carb, put the Walbro version on. I just did one on a Snapper 28 RER with 13.5hp Briggs single. Ordered OEM Briggs parts for the Nikki. Never again. Even OEM Briggs parts in the Nikki, didn't fit right blah blah. Too many o-rings and seals mess. Way over engineered POS.

New Walbro clone runs like a top. Never have to worry about it again. This is a Ebay Chinese clone of the Walbro. Took it all apart. Found no issues. Set the fuel/float level only, small potatoes. I did buy what was the most expensive Chinese version I think I could find. Pass on the cheapest version. Had trouble with those in the past.

View attachment 69371

The carb you mention is not the correct one for his engine.
His is the 2 barrel Nikki type that does not like ethanol gas. part number for his might be 791230 but he did not post up his engine code.

I've had better luck re-kitting a real Nikki 2 barrel vs rolling the dice and trying to replace the dual throat type with a Clone. If I try a Clone I use Amazon prime that has the free returns.
But the Nikki dual throat 2 barrels do have a learning curve. (and expensive if replaced with the real thing) I know some mechanics tht only replace the real Nikki's with the expensive real deal replacements so as to get the customers mowers back in service faster.
Some twin engines use the more user friendly single barrel carb (similar to the one you posted) and carb work on them is easier especially if they are a Walbro.
Seems like Briggs and Ford motor company should merge. Seems when both of them have a good thing going they make a major engineering change to make things worse for the repair people and to get deeper into the consumers pocket book fast. (Ford's slogan "We had a better idea" was only in the Model A and T days before they tried aluminum trucks and EV's)

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Why does everyone like to bad mouth Nikki carbs? It is mainly because they just don't take time to understand them. I have no repairing the Nikki, Walbro, or others.

Nikki carbs are quite easy to repair once you understand how they are put together.

I very seldom have to replace a carburetor but there are exceptions especially when needle seats not available to replace leaky ones.
Nikki carburetors are my least favorite to work on of all the brands, let’s put it that way.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well in my head I thought I did 😀. I guess there's not a JD number? I hate paying shipping, but...

Anyway, I'm going to order the kit (54832) that Forest#2 provided. It is only $7, plus $6 shipping.

I got a couple other items so I feel better about shipping...

I will update all when I have more info...

Thank you all for the input and help!
Well I never had crossed the o-ring until today to the JD part number as I usually go the Kawasaki PNs as I get them a lot cheaper from my kawasaki distributor and cut out the middle man JD.

But here is the cross. And update my system with the cross too.
1722617903245.png
This is how my system now has the crosses.
1722618248548.png

Poodlehead

Threads
I haven't been to the Kawa dealer in many years because their prices usually were outrageous... So far I've had good luck with JD having most parts in stock They have this part in stock so I ordered and should be able to pickup on Monday 🤗

So your last screen shot shows the equivalent part number from JD, Kawa, MTD, and Briggs?

StarTech, it's obvious that you must be a parts man 'somewhere' with much better resources than a common man like me. 🙃

Thank you so much for all the info and help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
He just keeps a better inventory than most .
Kawakasi parts are realistic
You have just been spoiled over the years because B & S parts were always way too cheap .
A gasket that costs 10¢ to make can often be $ 10 by the time it passes through a couple of sets of hands and gets to a dealer.
In fact if I just ordered 1 gasket it would have either a $ 25 or $ 15 delivery fee charged against it .
Invoicing costs some where between $ 2 & $ 10 and then there is storage picking & packing .
The sticky invoice envelopes stuck on packages cost 5¢ each
It all adds up very quickly .

I am just about to finish a Toro Greensmaster ( bitch of a machine to service ) and the courier delivery of parts for it is over $ 100 while my labour is only $ 142 .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But storage space is at a premium here now. Otherwords I running out places to storage parts. I really need to stop restocking parts sold as I need to prepare to shut down the business. Getting into that retirement age range now.

And it takes a lot work to just keep up with all the cross references. Example here the Briggs o-ring costs $10.79, JD's is $2.48, and the Kawasaki is $1.55. So I would not agree that the Kawasaki prices are out of line. Now the local guys are going to be higher as they got overhead to cover,

And Bert Briggs is no longer cheap to buy here, since that investment company brought them. One of the Nikki fuel bowls that I was buying for $30 is now over $100. Good thing I brought 5 of them when they were $30.

But as Bert said shipping cost has to figured in when ordering parts. There are time I pay more for a part as I needing other OEM parts that another distributor cheaper on but is then split among the parts as I only pay one shipping charge and not two charges. And sometimes I do buy locally if I am out and don't an order ready for the distributor but driving to JD for the part would be a 60 mile round trip and over an hour and half that I am not in the shop. An example of paying more a part from a different vendor is the gas tank that I brought this week. It was $10 higher from one vendor with free shipping. But regular vendor would had charged me $15 shipping. So I saved $5. Still had to charge more than suggested retail. I just don't get that good of a discount on MTD parts. Matter of fact I having to tack on a 5% GPM on the retail prices just to cover the shipping costs.

This is why I try to have multiple sources for the same part which does require knowing different part numbers. Running a small business does help as I do have to keep an inventory on hand if I going to keep the cost in line.

So this is how I keep my cost down and the customers do benefit too as the repair bills are lower too. As long I make a good profit and the customer saves money we both are happy.

Poodlehead

Threads
I really need to stop restocking parts sold as I need to prepare to shut down the business. Getting into that retirement age range now.
Congratulations on reaching the 'golden years'; I turned 65 last year and seem to be busier now than before, lol!

That is great that you can look up parts and cross reference PNs! Do you have a subscription to have access to better diagrams and part numbers lookup and x-references?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not really on the IPLs but most my vendors do provide the look-ups. What I have is from experience on where to look a particular OEM parts. It like I know where to look the Kawasaki engines that the US JD don't want us doing. Basically trying to force techs like me to only buy from them as they use unique PNs for the same Kawasaki parts.

The crosses are from working on various equipment and I just keep entering them in my system as I find them. It has come really handy during the Covid out break and the current lack of parts (lots of back orders). I have had one OEM to say a part is NLA when it is actually not as another OEM still carry it. Of some are proprietary means a company has exclusive rights to it.

And as you found out here some just won't tell us of the individual parts as they are wanting to buy an assembled part.

I really glad my Auto Manager software provider (Adminsoft) has worked with me on getting it fully functioning as he intend from the get go. I do drive him nuts at times when things don't work right. Of course I have to be the one with largest inventory database that he has using his software. We still finding induced bugs every so often. WE had to stop data logging changes as the software has a limit of 2 gigs and something he has being logged is causing the system to error out. It is something that will eventfully cause us a problem even in the stock database as I am current at 780 megs of data.

Poodlehead

Threads
That's super cool that you had the foresight years ago to start documenting parts and xref PNs.

Yes, I'm old school too and would rather replace what needs replacement instead of throw away and buy new assy.

Thanks again for your help and responses. I greatly appreciate it!

What part of the country are you located in, just curious...