Older BR400 blower problem

trooper1954

Threads
Fish...
Took the fan housing apart and found the fan really loose inside....the keyway was indeed broken in two pieces. Thanks everyone...problem resolved, as long as I can find a replacement keyway :)

trooper1954

Threads
Replacement key installed without issue....no parts left over:)
EXCEPT....now the blower turns over fine, tries to fire once, but will not start?
Anyone any ideas? Didn't touch anything else except to take apart and re-assemble??
Thanks for any help

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not familiar with that model. Did you have the flywheel nut loose?

trooper1954

Threads
Yes...in order to replace the woodruff key I had to take the fan and the flywheel off

trooper1954

Threads
So...the latest update is after leaving it overnight, I used a spark plug tester to check for spark....the blower fired up and ran, but would not respond to the throttle, and after about 10 secs began to smoke!! Immediately shut it off, but now wondering what could have caused this? Is it possible to put the flywheel on backwards? I don't think I did, but can't think of anything else?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Smoke from where?
The housing? Or out of the muffler?
It is possible that the flywheel nut was not re-tightened sufficiently, causing the flywheel to shift/move, thus changing the timing.

trooper1954

Threads
Thx Fish....yes, thats possible but I'm now thinking that when I wsa working on it it was horizontal so I'm wondering if some oil has seeped into the cylinder and thats the cause of the smoke? It appeared to be coming form the exhaust. I'll check the flywheel nut

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, that will burn off. If it keeps up, your carb needle may be leaky. If it is still running, I would wait on checking the flywheel nut.
Check the air filter, it may need cleaned.

trooper1954

Threads
Thx....air filter clean, fuel flowing and spark....yet now it will not start at all??

trooper1954

Threads
Hi all,
After replacing the Woodruff key detailed above, the machine would not start. After two days of trying everything, I heard that familiar sound while pulling the cord....the key had broken again!!! Does anyone know what torque the flywheel nut requires, and is that maybe why the key broke a second time? I just tightened it without a torque wrench, and I'm thinking that didn't seat the key properly? Thoughts anyone?
Thanks