Older BR400 blower problem

trooper1954

Threads
Hi All,
I have a Stihl BR 400 blower thats almost 30 years old but has been running well. Last week it fell off the back of my pickup, but ran well immediately after. Today when I went to start it, the cord pulls with little compression, and something inside freewheels until gravity stops it...I'm thinking the flywheel? Is it possible the keyway on the shaft has broken? I know this has happened to me in the past with lawnmowers but not sure about a blower. Can someone suggest a troubleshooting process to identify the problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
For starters, remove the pull starter, and turn the starter cup back and forth, see if the fanwheel flywheel appears to move with it, just to get a better picture of things.

trooper1954

Threads
Thanks Fish,
Pull starter removed, flywheel can be turned by hand but some compression, and with plug out I can see the piston reaching the top of the cylinder as I turn the flywheel.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The flywheel is on the front, isn't it? I haven't ever worked on that model. I would say that the fanwheel is loose, and that may have something to do with starting hard. The weight of the fanwheel is factored into it all, and the flywheels are extra light.

trooper1954

Threads
Thx Fish,
Maybe I should have said starter cup instead of flywheel...it was the starter cup I was turning that seemed to have a little compression and caused the piston to move. Where /how do I check the fanwheel?
thx

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic. Is there a way to see the fanwheel through the intake screen?

stihl-br-400-backpack-blower-br-400-parts-diagram-throughout-stihl-leaf-blower-parts-diagram.jpg

trooper1954

Threads
Thx Bert and Fish,
Bert...not that mechanical...can you point me to the rocker cover?
Thx

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think removing the rocker cover is going to be very hard to do since there is not one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry for bad info folks.
t always throws me as most of my customers have 600's ( or bigger ) & I forget the 400 is a strait 2 stroke.
Incorrect post duely removed
Now going to stand in the silly corner with dunces hat on for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
On the diagram, part #16, the center part.
Can you look in there and see the fanwheel?
The fanwheel is #14.