Old Gasoline

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you ever done a water test on a gas container ? We've read that water story ever since alcohol was part of our gasoline history and some of a lesser story before alcohol.
Yes I do test my 100% gas, I won't buy a tester, it's not rocket science. I have a glass olive jar, & marked at 1" then add water to the mark, add the gas to fill, cap it. Shake good & let settle. If the 1" water level is increased, it is not 100% gas.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes I do test my 100% gas, I won't buy a tester, it's not rocket science. I have a glass olive jar, & marked at 1" then add water to the mark, add the gas to fill, cap it. Shake good & let settle. If the 1" water level is increased, it is not 100% gas.
saw a video on youtube where a guy has 2 5 gallon gas jugs, one is clear... he fills that with E gas, pours appropriate amount of water in it, and he has a tap in the bottom of the container, drains the water and Ethanol mix out and is supposedly left with 100% or close to, ethanol free gas..... i haven't done it... as i saw it on youtube....so who knows.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no problem burning E10, E20 or even e85.
And the combined ethanol . water mix will also burn
Back in the day we used to toss some ethanol into the tanks after a vehicle was flooded to remove the water that did not drain out .
IT is only a problem when it sits in your carb for months on end .

Lawn Addict
Threads
saw a video on youtube where a guy has 2 5 gallon gas jugs, one is clear... he fills that with E gas, pours appropriate amount of water in it, and he has a tap in the bottom of the container, drains the water and Ethanol mix out and is supposedly left with 100% or close to, ethanol free gas..... i haven't done it... as i saw it on youtube....so who knows.

Scrub- Yes, water is heavier than gas & diesel for that matter, so that scenario sounds plausible.

When I used to run bull dozers 100 yrs ago, below the fuel tank was a drain (Older equipment), once in a while you would open it to drain out the water, & you could see when it turned to clean diesel again, & shut off the drain.
There is no problem burning E10, E20 or even e85.
And the combined ethanol . water mix will also burn
Back in the day we used to toss some ethanol into the tanks after a vehicle was flooded to remove the water that did not drain out .
IT is only a problem when it sits in your carb for months on end .

Bert- That is mostly why I only use 100% gas.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would suspect any water in the bottom of a gas tank with pure gas would be subject to freezing and prevent flow, in some instances, but possibly not with 10 % ethanol ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
With /100% gas, very rare to ever have any water in the bottom.(ime). But if water was on bottom, freezing could happen.

But with the ethanol, after 30 days or so the degradation can begin, called phase separation, thus the water on bottom. Then that can freeze as well.

Last edited: