Old Gasoline

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If old gas isn't desirable for a $50.00 mower why would I want to dispose of it by pouring it in a $50,000 dollar pickup truck.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Including the water and crud in the bottom of the gas container. That's a really smart computer. I'll take mine to a disposal.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you didn't mention water.. just old gas...

TonyPrin

Threads
It's never smart to use old (untreated) gas in any engine. I seldom have much old gas because I buy gas frequently but I like the idea of using it to clean parts.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like E-10 gas with water present on bottom..
Have you ever done a water test on a gas container ? We've read that water story ever since alcohol was part of our gasoline history and some of a lesser story before alcohol.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Water in your fuel is not a big problem provided it is not excessive.
Water in a cylinder drastically increases to power .
It was used extensively in radial engines to get the extra power boost needed to get heavy bombers off the deck
and also for a lot of short island runways during WWII
The automotive industry spent a fortune trying to get it to work in car & truck engines but it was just not feasable
I think some diesel locomotives used water injection to increase the mileage ( nearly doubles then MPG )
The bit problem with stale old fuel is the highly volatile fractions evaporate so there is nothing that can vapourise & burn in a cold engine so you can not start them.
It is not a problem in multi cylinder car engines because you only need one of them to fire once and the injectors do a much better job of atomising the fuel than a carburettor ever can do thus stale fuel without enough volatiles to start in a single cylinder mower will fire up & run quite happily in the average car engine .

A school friend fitted a water injection system to his old 138 strait 6 Holden ( Chevy engine )
He got 90 mpg out of it on trips and once in to gear we never ever had to change gears the engine developed so much extra Hp .
Down side was it needed 2 carbs, one for petrol only & one for petrol + water injection , you had to start it on the petrol only carb then run it for at least 15 minutes to fully heat the engine & manifold then swap the carbs ( so it ran really rich till the petrol only one drained ) so there was a going nowhere time then turn on the water .
Similarly when you wanted to turn off, you had to reverse the process because the steam strips oil from the cylinder walls which was not a problem wile running because the steam itself is lubricating but of course the cylinder would rust badly if left wet after use .
SO it was impracticable for short drives .
Now days with computers it could be made to work as you can hit the "start my car" button on your phone and it would be preheated & running on water + petrol by the time you get in and similarly when you get to the destination it could go through the run down sequence after you have gotten out , then close the garage doors .
And of course it would be double injected , one for water & one for fuel .
Back in 1966 it was all carbs and control wires with a human computer on the other end of them.
Al did the same with his next 2 cars but when he got the V8 it was a disaster as when on water when you planted the foot the front wheels would lift a good 18 inches then drop when every tooth was stripped off the gear box .

If you have a library with a good collection of period magazines, then read some from the 50's & 60's. it was a regular feature also found in electronics magazines as a build it yourself kit . popular mechanics same story and cars of the future stories in motor magazines with headlines like "100 mpg cars are they possible " etc, etc , etc .