Old Briggs head gasket swap - cast or aluminum?

I pulled the head and I was pleased with what I saw. No ridge in the cylinder and good valve action. Lots of carbon but the valves and seats look good.

I am going to put a new head gasket in but I need to know if my engine is cast iron or aluminum because that dictates the correct head bolt lubrication and torque. I held a magnet to the block and head and there was no reaction. I assume everything is aluminum but would appreciate it if someone could confirm that for me.

My engine data is as follows:

MODEL: 061102
TYPE: 0133 01
SERIAL NUMBER: 6312303


Thanks for your help.
 
This is the reason I keep a magnet on the side of my tool box. Other reasons I use it is to know if something is stainless steel or not, if something is solid brass or coated steel that is brass color. I find a magnet is a handy tool.
 
This is the reason I keep a magnet on the side of my tool box. Other reasons I use it is to know if something is stainless steel or not, if something is solid brass or coated steel that is brass color. I find a magnet is a handy tool.


yes sir me to and its handy as heck if u drop something to :thumbsup:
 
I am going to put a new head gasket in but I need to know if my engine is cast iron or aluminum because that dictates the correct head bolt lubrication and torque. I held a magnet to the block and head and there was no reaction. I assume everything is aluminum but would appreciate it if someone could confirm that for me.



I guess this is something new to me but never too old to learn. I have put many heads on and head bolts in different blocks from large diesels to small mower engines in my life time. Now as far as lubrication for the head bolts what I always do is clean them and just use SAE 30 oil on them. When you are torque a bolt you are stretching it and that determents the way and amount you torque it. Is this something you are getting out of a service manual? If so why is it not telling you what lubrication to use and how to torque the bolts? One of the most important things you must watch for is to make sure everything is clean. You need to determine the bolt size and how the head gasket is made when you torque them not what the block and head is made of.
 
Am 99% sure its aluminum.

Or is it 99% aluminum?




Actually, I wouldn't get too worked up over the torques, this isn't the space shuttle...... About the only thing I really torque is rod bolts, most of the guys here probably do about that too.
 
Back
Top