Old Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP engine

wilsonbb

Threads
Where do I find the model # on my old B & S 3.5 HP engine?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
left side of the flywheel cover

wilsonbb

Threads
I looked at the flywheel cover on my 3.5 B & S engine and cannot find the model #. All I see is the B & S label with 3.5 HP on it. Is there another way to identify this model. This engine came from an old lawnmower, but have been using it on a tiller. Engine ran very well on last use, but was smoking terribly. Engine just about always started on first pull even after long storage, but always had oil in the cylinder and muffler until it burned off. Then it just started smoking all the time. I would like to rebuild this engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look above the spark plug.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A vertical or horizontal engine. The numbers are also not very clear so look very close. Has the engine been painted or is the flywheel cover rusty?

wilsonbb

Threads
Flywheel cover is a little rusty and it is a vertical engine. Thanks.

wilsonbb

Threads
I found the model #. I have one more question.

If I am ordering a rebuild kit for this engine and am NOT having the cylinder bored, I would order the standard kit and not the .010 kit, right?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found the model #. I have one more question.

If I am ordering a rebuild kit for this engine and am NOT having the cylinder bored, I would order the standard kit and not the .010 kit, right?

yes use the standard size, just make sure your old piston isn't oversize, It is marked on it if it is.