Export thread

Old Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP engine

W

wilsonbb

Where do I find the model # on my old B & S 3.5 HP engine?

reynoldston

reynoldston

left side of the flywheel cover

W

wilsonbb

Thank you very much!

W

wilsonbb

I looked at the flywheel cover on my 3.5 B & S engine and cannot find the model #. All I see is the B & S label with 3.5 HP on it. Is there another way to identify this model. This engine came from an old lawnmower, but have been using it on a tiller. Engine ran very well on last use, but was smoking terribly. Engine just about always started on first pull even after long storage, but always had oil in the cylinder and muffler until it burned off. Then it just started smoking all the time. I would like to rebuild this engine.

Fish

Fish

Look above the spark plug.

reynoldston

reynoldston

A vertical or horizontal engine. The numbers are also not very clear so look very close. Has the engine been painted or is the flywheel cover rusty?

W

wilsonbb

Flywheel cover is a little rusty and it is a vertical engine. Thanks.

W

wilsonbb

I found the model #. I have one more question.

If I am ordering a rebuild kit for this engine and am NOT having the cylinder bored, I would order the standard kit and not the .010 kit, right?

reynoldston

reynoldston

I found the model #. I have one more question.

If I am ordering a rebuild kit for this engine and am NOT having the cylinder bored, I would order the standard kit and not the .010 kit, right?

yes use the standard size, just make sure your old piston isn't oversize, It is marked on it if it is.

W

wilsonbb

Thanks again!

W

wilsonbb

I have received my rebuild kit for my 3.5 HP B & S engine and some other parts which I believe will work fine. However, the carburetor kit I ordered and received definitely has the wrong diaphragm. I am not sure if the other parts in the kit are correct either. The diaphragm that came with the kit has metal hook attached which I believe connects to the choke, but the one I need has nothing connected to it; it just has several holes and one indentation where a spring and a ring go to fit up into the carburetor. My engine is Model-92902, Type-1017-01 and Code 7203079. It has the carburetor attached to the top of the gas tank. I have checked the B & S master parts catalog it shows the same wrong diaphragm for 92900 models and I do not see the correct diaphragm anywhere whether with a kit or separate.

Any ideas where I might find the correct kit with the correct diaphragm?

Thanks,
Bruce

W

wilsonbb

Well I have my 3.5 HP B&S engine and carburetor rebuilt. I have got it running, also. I have started the engine and adjusted the carburetor and it runs really well. However, when I put the air filter on top of the carburetor the engine chokes and cuts off. Also, my engine is on my tiller and if I engage the clutch (without the air filter) and try to till with it the engine cuts off.

Any idea what is wrong? The carburetor is a late pulsa jet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce