Old 361 dixon...12 hp B&S

Hal12

Threads
Has a walbro carb...283707-0117-01.

Occasionally gas gets into the oil. Helps if I shut the fuel off after use.

I understand a stuck needle in the bowl can allow gas to get into the

crank case. Is that correct? thx in ad...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Has a walbro carb...283707-0117-01.

Occasionally gas gets into the oil. Helps if I shut the fuel off after use.

I understand a stuck needle in the bowl can allow gas to get into the

crank case. Is that correct? thx in ad...
Clean the carb & replace the fuel lines outdoor power info

Hal12

Threads
Just got it back from the mechanic. Supposedly went through the carb and cleaned out the gas tank and lines. It was running rough and
wouldn't run at all with the deck turned on. It runs fine now and I put the original carb, after cleaning, back on. Mechanic said the new one was for a newer machine. Went into the shed today and smelled gas. Found gas dripping from the breather tube. Have a new one coming. Otherwise I should be good to go. I may pull the carb off
and put the float and needle valve from the new one on.
This is the new one the mechanic said was not meant for my engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rule of thumb
A quality product will have the makers name and hopefully a serial number on it.
A garbage product will have no identifing markings so you don't know who made it
A pirate aftermarket part will have obvious marks where the original "walbro" "ruXing" "runsruff" was ground out of the moulds that the pirate company bought as scrap metal from the original parts maker .
Now I can write all sorts of BS about how good I am and how much I know and how good the product is and none of it is worth the electriclty used to display it on the screen
The current price of die casting zinc is $ 4.50 Kg and that is a world price so the factory in China that made the carb has to pay that price just for the zinc.
Then it has to be melted, cast, machined & assembled
Finally shipped
Ammozone takes around $ 3 to $ 10 per sale depending upon the volume & weather Ammozone did the warehousing & despatching.
So the vendor gets say $ 15 to $ 8 for it , assuming they are only making a 30% general retail mark up that means it cost them $ 10 to $ 6 delivered & taxed
The factory in China has to be making a profit and even in China that has to be at least 20% or they won't be there next year
So working back that makes them in the order of $ 8 to $ 3.50 at the factory gate cost price, ignoring packaging costs.
So if you think you are going to get a high quality carb for $ 18 then you best get cracking with your letter to Santa Clause because Christmas is coming
If it looks too cheap to be true is usually is not true
Now they could have been surplus sold at a knock down cost price or they could be scrap metal

Hal12

Threads
So a leaking carb needle/seat overflows the bowl allowing gas into the
air inlet, through the breather tube into the crankcase. Is that the situation?

Attachments

• 1656332014047.png
    1656332014047.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 0

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nope
The overflow for the float bowl is it hole in the flange of the carb on the engine side
Fuel dribbles out of that hole then runs down the manifold ( EPA REGULATION ) and into the engine .
From there it enters the cylinder , passes the rings & then to the sump .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drywall screw and pliers. Be gentle as you go. Only soft aluminum zinc pot metal.

Install, a drill bit with the dull end down forcing the seat home. Or a small bolt.....

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The way I like to do it is to take a shoulder bolt like on the Kohler courage and grind the thread end where it won't bottom out in the seat and the sides so it will fit in the seat and tap it in with it. But what ever works for you.