Oily Spark Plug

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Would this home still be ok as this was the one I had ordered before I saw your message.
The biggest problem with that type of hone is that the face of the stones are flat. When you put them in a round cylinder the sbarp edges of the staoes are what makes contact. No matter what grit you get the stone's sharp edges will gouge the aluminum. 30+ years ago you could get stone's with radiused faces that worked on aluminum. Also if not experienced with the spring hone it is very easy to put vertical grooves in the bore inserting and removing it. Another problem with the spring hone stones is that the material will load up an cause scratches in the finish. Ball hone much user friendly. I put the cylinder in a bucket of kerosene. Remember! You only get one shot at it. If you must use a spring hone get 600 grit stones. The cheap Chinese stones are always more coarse on aluminum than what you think and the one you linked to lists 220 grit stones that will destroy an aluminum cylinder. I ruined my share of 5HP Briggs engines learning these things.

Last edited:

Richie F

Threads
Would a spray of WD40 help?
No!
Use mineral spirits or kerosine.
The hone you are getting is just fine.
The square corners will round a little as it breaks in.
Stop thinking about it and do the job.
I've been rebuilding cars/ trucks/snowmobiles/engines/trannys/rears for 50 years.
Don't overthink the wheel.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And getting back to your previous post.
The hone goes into the cylinder stationary it is rotated while moving up & down then turned off squeezed in and pulled out stationary.
THis is very important in an alloy bore or as the rotating stone is removed it will chamfer the top of the bore and you really do not want that to happen .
The ball hones were invented and used because of the short comings of flat hones for deglazing
Also getting the pressure just right is another skill that come after you have buggered a few cylinders.
The ball hones have a preset pressure so no chance for errors unless you use the wrong size.

Richie F

Threads
Bert
He's just deglazing a cylinder bore.
Doesn't care about the physics of it.
The more he knows, the more confused he will become.
"NASA, we have a lawnmower engine to fix".

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What could go wrong? The linked to spring hone lists 2 inch 220 grit stones of an unknown material. Aluminum oxide? Silicon carbide? User has never deglazed a cylinder before so getting the proper 45 degree crosshatch pattern on the first try shouldn't be hard. With 2 inch stones no worries about popping the stones out of the top or bottom of the bore. It's not the space shuttle go for it. Can't be that hard.

Richie F

Threads
I think enough about talking about this.
Good luck with the repair, one way or another.
Over and out.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
just be sure to clean everything inside and out in the engine, and keep cleaning the bore afterwards until a white paper towel comes out white after wiping it