Oil???

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Brad Penn or Penn Grade are both high in zinc for flat tappet engines. Mobile One is a good oil too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The thing I am really wanting to figure out is the zinc additive. Supposedly the Toro brand oil has more zinc added. Now I know Toro doesn't make oil and they just put their label on someone elses oil, but I don't know which one it is they use or again, is it just hype to get you to buy their label oil or what? So is oil, oil, or is there a huge difference between them?
You are conflaiting mower engines with automotive engines .
What is vital for the one is not necessary for the other
High zinc is a perfect example
Not needed in a mower engine because the scuffing forces are sobstantially lower because the valve springs are substantially softer and the engine runs substantially slower

rustycat

Threads
My neighbor and I were talking about lawn mowers. We both have Toro Recyclers and I said I was going to have to tune up and change oil. I said I was going to put in 10-30 synthetic oil. He said you should use Toro's oil because it has added zinc for better wear on engine components. I was wondering what you folks think. Is this right or hype? And is 10-30 ok or should I use straight 30 sae?
It depends on what engine brand you have. B/S use sae 30 and Kohler and Honda use sae 10w30. Regular motor oil is just fine as your going to change it every season.

jromeo1

Forum Newbie
Threads
My neighbor and I were talking about lawn mowers. We both have Toro Recyclers and I said I was going to have to tune up and change oil. I said I was going to put in 10-30 synthetic oil. He said you should use Toro's oil because it has added zinc for better wear on engine components. I was wondering what you folks think. Is this right or hype? And is 10-30 ok or should I use straight 30 sae?
It doesn't have to be Toro's oil, but it SHOULD be an oil designed for small engines. Automobile oil has an additive package that DOES NOT contain zinc because of the cat converter damage that would occur if zinc were in the oil. Small engines need the protection of zinc due to the high compression nature of these engines. They also run hotter, so the additive package in small engine oil is also designed to protect against the excessive heat that small engines generate. And like I said, you should be good to go with a any good quality small engine oil. You don't have to use a synthetic oil, but I highly recommend it. Synthetic oil maintains its viscosity longer than conventional (naturally high Viscosity Index), and is generally slipperier than conventional, which results in a cooler running engine.

jromeo1

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are conflaiting mower engines with automotive engines .
What is vital for the one is not necessary for the other
High zinc is a perfect example
Not needed in a mower engine because the scuffing forces are sobstantially lower because the valve springs are substantially softer and the engine runs substantially slower
That is not quite correct. Compared to liquid-cooled automobile engines, small engines run hotter, operate under constant load, generate more oil-damaging contaminants, suffer from neglected maintenance, and are exposed to dirt, rain, and other extremes. Simply put, they are tougher on oil than most people think. Automobile oils are designed with fuel economy in mind, not durability.

Gord Baker

Threads
That is not quite correct. Compared to liquid-cooled automobile engines, small engines run hotter, operate under constant load, generate more oil-damaging contaminants, suffer from neglected maintenance, and are exposed to dirt, rain, and other extremes. Simply put, they are tougher on oil than most people think. Automobile oils are designed with fuel economy in mind, not durability.
Well Said!

Ranamow

Threads
I have uses Castrol 10w30 in all types of small engines for years with no problems.

Robo_iii

Threads
Just my 2 cents:
I've had good luck with Briggs & Stratton brand 32 oz 5W30 100% Synthetic Engine Oil. I added after 4hr break-in with our 'then new' walk behind 2017 Honda mower. Even after full season of mowing (~20hrs runtime) my oil still looks clean when changing it out today. Always use air cooled engine oil to ensure it has extra zinc (better load cushioning) and full detergent package for better cleaning protection. Automotive grade oil has zero zinc because it will load-up/ruin catalytic converters. Amaz0n is only place where I can find this oil since retailers don't want mower engines lasting forever - lol.

1300304.jpg

Last edited:

biggertv

Threads
SAE30HD In My Experience, Multi Weight oil increases oil Consumption in hot Texas Weather. Mowing is Dirty, and engines are low to the ground. Change oil Often, sooner than Recommended.