Oil pump o-ring leak...

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Hello lawn and engine folks. I have a leak & question where I could use some Ideas or direction.
Have a Briggs & Stratton 22HP Intel V-Twin on a Simplicity mower.
Valve cover stamp:
Model 44K777
Type 0115 E1
Code 071015YG.

My issue is the O-Ring leaking at the oil pump cover.
Not leaking at the shaft seal, valve covers, or the large pan gasket.
I have clean, dried, and reinstalled with Permatex Red High Temp RTV. Still have the leak.
The O-Ring looks fine by visual inspection and is pliable without cracking or anything.
I can get a replacement and have no problem doing that but I'm suspicious of a loss of tolerance in some way for whatever reason.
So with that.... anyone know of a slightly thicker o-ring with the same internal diameter that would work and seal better?

Thanks for any replies.

Leaky.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check your o-ring dimensions. They do flatten and leak.

The Briggs 690589 is a Buna-N O-Ring, 3.5 mm Wide, 47 ID 54 OD

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Oh, I meant that if anyone had experience with this leak and had a recommendation of an O-ring that would be better/larger than the OEM then I would get that.
But if not, I'll try a new OEM O-ring.
Thanks.

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Update if interested:
Replaced the o-ring this evening with an OEM one. Ran shortly and saw no leaks! :)
Will run longer tomorrow and look again.
Thanks.

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Two conflicting statements??

Just get the OEM O-ring and call it a day.
New OEM O-ring installed.

Ran maybe 30 seconds to a minute. Checked, no leaks.
It was getting dark so I called it a day.

Go out today to give it a longer run and check.
Didn't even run it. A run of oil on the frame in the same area..
Aggravating...

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Anyone have any suggestions for fixing this leak?

Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OR spary the bottom with spray talc or dye penetrant developer
Both f these will cost the surface with a powder so you can tack where the oil is coming from.
Could be a cracked thread on the pump cover , could be the dip stick seal could be the governor shaft
Tiny leaks that track olong crevises where you can not see them ( unless you are using the UV dye & black light ) then accumulate in the crevase around the oil fliter and drip from there

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Have you ever pulled the metal engine shroud and cleaned the top of the block and cooling fins? This is a yearly maintenance item in ALL engine manuals. Neglect this and you are looking at engine damage.

Like Like Reply

Yes, I have done cleaned everything.
Maybe more information would help all that are trying to help me. Sorry, didn't mean to leave anything out.

Engine dropped a pushrod into the case. Wouldn't come out with any kind of tricks with a magnet so I had to take engine out, flip it, remove the pan, etc. Made sure to clean everything along the way. Fins, etc. Compressed air, brushes, brake cleaner. Cleaned and dried.

Found no damage internally to gears, crank, cam etc. Only the bent push rod.

Put everything back together with new gaskets except for the o-ring at the pump. Had read and seen video (Taryl) that it would be ok to use the original one.

Fired right up and runs "ok" to me. Still hear a little rhythm at running RPM rather than perfectly smooth. Thinking of adjusting valves again.
Also, I have removed the heads and inspected. Seals were not pushed out.

Now I have a leak at the pump housing plate where I didn't before and didn't have issue taking it apart or putting it together.
Also, as shown in this thread, I have since replaced the o-ring with a factor B&S one and still have the leak in the same place.

The orientation is 3 bolts with the one nearest the front right (if squatting in front of it) and the plate above that area leaking pretty quickly after running about a minute.

I have put dye in it this evening as recommended to confirm this. No leaks to be found at:
Valve covers
Heads
Sump Gasket
Governor Shaft
Dip Stick Housing
Drain
Oil Filter

Dye confirmed seeping from plate at both sides of the front right bolt after running for about a minute.

Thanks for reading and all replies.

Leaky. :)