Oil filter options for the Yamaha engine?

Born2Mow

Threads
Agreed. Besides making the parts sale, the big makers have a vested interest in having the customer re-visit their dealer's Parts Dept every 6 months. There they'll see the latest models and think... "Gosh, the new models are great and have new features I could use. And my mower has been running a bit rough." So the dealer makes a sale they didn't have to pay for a radio ad to get.

I worked in a big corporate Marketing Dept for 5 years ($2 billion in sales in 1 year) and you would not believe the level of sophistication now used to get you to buy a newer product. Even going as far as hidden pictures in the print ads.

This is why I don't subscribe to hobby or industry magazines, or watch videos on YouTube.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The most effective way to get you to buy a newer product that does the same function is to discontinue critical repair parts for the old model.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The most effective way to get you to buy a newer product that does the same function is to discontinue critical repair parts for the old model.
that's why they sell JB Weld, Gorilla tape and zip ties. ;)

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the day job we had very profitable machines on service contracts that we had to end of life because a vendor quit making a unique part. An example was Ames Rubber made a very specific rubber coated roller for a machine. They stopped production and destroyed the tooling. Told us part was not profitable enough. That one part affected about 50,000 machines in the national fleet. The part was a wear item. Cost the company millions when we had to cancel contracts and return money. Then say "Hey, buy something else from us."
Many times it is not the equipment manufacturer but a vendor that causes spares to not be available.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in the day job we had very profitable machines on servive contracts that we had to end of life because a vendor quit making a unique part. An example was Ames Rubber made a very specific rubber coated roller for a machine. They stopped production and destroyed the tooling. Told us part was not profitable enough. That one part affected about 50,000 machines in the national fleet. The part was a wear item. Cost the company millions when we had to cancel contracts and return money. Then say "Hey, buy something else from us."
Many times it is not the equipment manufacturer but a vendor that causes spares to not be available.
Funny you should say that as it happened to the copier I used to own.
The Ames roller, thick it was the fixing roller was NLA and the machine sat idle for over a year till a pin ball mechanic friend saw it and put me onto a mob who did custom roller repairs and they recoated the roller .
Not as good as the original as double sided copies used to stick to it some times but we did squeeze another 3 year out of the machine .
I was at college at the time & we used to do copying for the public via the local newsagent as in those days the only public accessible copiers were in libraries & you have to ask the librarian to do the copying for you .
Such a long time ago & now I could print out an encyclopedia from my desktop .

Born2Mow

Threads
I worked at a Honda dealership and they begged us to buy their computer system for our Parts Dept. The sales pitch was that we could get parts "faster".

As soon as the system was installed, Honda started buying back parts for machines older than 5 years. Owners would come in to get common, small wearing parts and Honda would show them as not available anywhere in the US. The customer was left with no option but to buy a new machine.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
WIX SL10239
NAPA Gold 400239
FRAM PH4967 TG4967 XG4967
STP S4967