Oil filter options for the Yamaha engine?

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Anyone have a better ability than me to find a cross-reference to this Yamaha small engine oil filter from a major brand? It's a pretty standard sized filter so I'm certain it has to have a compatible cross-reference. I just couldn't come up with anything in my search.

YAMAHA 7UD-E3440-00

It's for a Yamaha MX825V-EFI gas engine which is found on a lot of power equipment, including a bunch of zero-turn mowers. My need is for my Bad Boy Rogue.

I found a list of cross-reference to other mower brands' filters but haven't had any luck getting any of these to something common like Fram, Wix, K&N, Mobil1, Napa, etc.

REPLACES
BAD BOY: 015-0053-02
EXMARK: 120-4276, 126-5234, 127-9222, 1367848
GRAVELY: 21563100
OIL FILTER: WS-5234
TORO: 120-4276, 126-5234, 127-9222, 136-7848
YAMAHA: 7UD-E3440-00

Thanks,
Rob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stens filter
Well the part number on the Stens web page brought up their filter which interchanges will all of these OEM part numbers
If you are looking for aftermarket mower parts the FIRST PLACE you look is the companies who supply guaranteed quality after market parts for mowers not Amazon where most vendors would not know a mower from a rolling mill .
AFAIK Still made in the USA ( Mexico ? ) by Champion.
IF they are not cheap enough for you then time to sell the plot & register for the pension.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Thanks! How did you find that Stens page? It never came up in all the searching I did with the Bad Boy, Yamaha, Gravely or Exmark parts numbers.

And no, I typically wouldn't go to Amazon for something like this because for auto parts of this type they usually are much higher than local stores. My Bad Boy dealer (who is also a Yamaha dealer) charged me just under $15 for the filter, which isn't too bad, but I figured I could find them from other major makers for under $10. We'll see. Maybe the Yamaha part is the best price?

Rob

ETA: Well, that Stens part is only $8 at Amazon, so maybe it isn't a bad place for this after all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No it won't
Use "after market mower parts " and it should come up along with Prime Line , Rotary & Oregon .
Don't know who the others get to make their filters .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Seeing how that stens filter crosses to Kawasaki 49065-0724 and Kawasaki 49065-0724 crosses to Wix, take your pick.. AFAIK Kawasaki filters are made by fram. (Kaw 0724 is the latest supercession, from 7010, and 2065, which cross directly with the 51394, which is what i use)
Wix 51394 is $4.00 at Rock auto online, $9 at O'reilly auto.
1622908969536.png

Born2Mow

Threads
Look for oil filter specification charts.
  1. Match the filter thread. Lots are 3/4-10 UNC, but not all.
  2. Then match the by-pass pressure rating
  3. Then match (or improve on) the micron rating of the filter material

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Thanks for the tips! That's the info I was hoping to find.

Rob

lugbolt

Threads
I know I ain't gonna change anyone's minds, but ask yourself why aftermarket companies have cross references? Because the OEM doesn't have a cross reference-because the aftermarket has decided to make a filter that "will fit" a bunch of different engines, but may or may not work correctly on all of them.

I just buy several at a time. When I get down to one, put in another order. Lot less headache.

IIRC that 7UD filter is the same one that's used on some Yamaha generators and inverters so if you have a gen/inverter dealer near you, should be able to get the filter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OEM companies no longer provide the specifications for a lot of things to encourage the owners to use OEM branded replacement parts for obvious reasons .
Most small engines use the same oil pump and have the same oil flows so use essentially the same oil filter.
I keep 4 filters , briggs long & short & Honda large & small because we get a lot of metric engines down here .
The difference between 25µ and 28µ is less than the variation in the raw filter media
In the 8 years of operation I have yet to find a filter that was running on bypass and drain back is only a problem on Vanguards where the filter is upside down & at 40 deg.
You just need to keep telling yourself, these are the most basic engines it is possible to build little changed in 100 years .