Odd Issue with Kohler Courage 23

Z7What

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 Cub Cadet LT1050 with a Kohler Courage 23 with 350hrs. Two weeks ago i performed my annual maintenance. I changed the air filter, fuel filter, installed new correctly gapped plugs, change the oil and oil filter and sharpened the blades. After performing this work i cut my lawn and it ran great, like it always has.

This week i went to cut my lawn again. I started the mower, drove it out of my garage and when i engaged the blades the engine stumbled and quickly killed. Now i cant get it to start again. It will spin over but will not start.

I have confirmed the following
*Oil level is where it should be.
*Pulse pump is working.
*Fuel is getting to the carb.
*The fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl is working correctly.
*It does have spark.
*30amp fuse on harness is good.
*The PTO solenoid is working.
*Checked valve clearance (all were @ .005).
*Compression Test = 168# and 170#

Anybody ever come across something like this before or have any other ideas on what to look for?

Thanks Wayne

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it came to me there are two things I would check. Remove the shroud and flywheel bolt and check to see if the flywheel key is sheared. While you have the shroud off check to see if the cover bolts are tight. Common problem to find them loose. If these two checks result in a positive outcome then I would spray some carb cleaner into the carb and see if you get a pop. We need to figure out if it is a fuel or ignition problem. Post back with results. This manual may come in handy. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf

VegetiveSteam

Threads
If it came to me there are two things I would check. Remove the shroud and flywheel bolt and check to see if the flywheel key is sheared. While you have the shroud off check to see if the cover bolts are tight. Common problem to find them loose. If these two checks result in a positive outcome then I would spray some carb cleaner into the carb and see if you get a pop. We need to figure out if it is a fuel or ignition problem. Post back with results. This manual may come in handy. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf
Hope you don't mind me clarifying. This is a twin cylinder Courage not a single cylinder.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I have a 2006 Cub Cadet LT1050 with a Kohler Courage 23 with 350hrs. Two weeks ago i performed my annual maintenance. I changed the air filter, fuel filter, installed new correctly gapped plugs, change the oil and oil filter and sharpened the blades. After performing this work i cut my lawn and it ran great, like it always has.

This week i went to cut my lawn again. I started the mower, drove it out of my garage and when i engaged the blades the engine stumbled and quickly killed. Now i cant get it to start again. It will spin over but will not start.

I have confirmed the following
*Oil level is where it should be.
*Pulse pump is working.
*Fuel is getting to the carb.
*The fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl is working correctly.
*It does have spark.
*30amp fuse on harness is good.
*The PTO solenoid is working.
*Checked valve clearance (all were @ .005).
*Compression Test = 168# and 170#

Anybody ever come across something like this before or have any other ideas on what to look for?

Thanks Wayne
Well, you have spark, compression and fuel. Not much left. Ignition timing maybe. Valve timing maybe. Rivets mentioned a possible sheared flywheel key. Not very common in this application but definitely not impossible. It would be worth a look.

How did you check spark?

Z7What

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will take a look at the keyway today.

Thank you for the link to the manual. I thought I printed it a while back but I couldn’t find it the other day when I was troubleshooting it. Mine is a SV720 iirc, the manual you linked only goes to the SV720, is it possible to link the manual for the 720? Nevermind I was able to find it. Thanks again!

Wayne

Last edited:

Z7What

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, you have spark, compression and fuel. Not much left. Ignition timing maybe. Valve timing maybe. Rivets mentioned a possible sheared flywheel key. Not very common in this application but definitely not impossible. It would be worth a look.

How did you check spark?
I removed the plug, reattached the wire and held the plug against the block while cranking it.

Wayne

VegetiveSteam

Threads

Z7What

Forum Newbie
Threads
The woodruff key was sheared and oddly enough I had one that I bought 6-7yrs ago for some unknown reason!

Swapped the woodruff out, clearanced the coils(with a business card), installed new plugs gapped at .030 and still nothing.

Wayne

Z7What

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it just so happens I just discovered water in my fuel so hopefully that’s why it’s not running after changing the woodruff key.