Not giving up, BY GOD!!!!!!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It never fails to amuse me how many rank amateurs think that can do things that the pros say can't or should not be done .
When they tell you you need a crane and a high cut team it is not because their brother in law has a crane hire company .
The one that always come to mind was a 100' tall macadamia tree in the yard to the rear of a house I rented .
Now macadamia's are very big tress with a very wide crown .
This clot did not want to get up & crown the tree because they would drop into the neighbours yard and perhaps even break the fence .
So he tied a few ropes together ran the rope around the cloths line then up the side of the house to the street where it was tied to the back of his Merc
Well the tree rolled, fell the opposite direction taking 2 houses & 2 garages with it
The rope did not break but it ripped the cloths line out of the ground which was flung into the rear sun room effectively demolishing it.
The Merc was dragged backwards took the front room of his house out and the neighbours fence , gas meter & water meter before being wedged between the two houses.

And the reason for cutting the tree down in the first place ?
He was worried hat the macadamia nuts falling from such a great height would dent the roof of his nice new Merc .
We used to get about 50 Kg of free nuts falling into our yard , it was a very prolific tree .

To be fair, he did consult a feller who wanted better than a months wages to cut down the tree and the same amount of money to remove it .
IT was scheduled to take 2 days after they had council permission to cut it as it was a significant native tree .

So apart from the damage, he was also fined for cutting it down by the council & also got sued by 3 neighbours , charged with criminal damage by the local police and fined by both the water authority & the gas company .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It never fails to amuse me how many rank amateurs think that can do things that the pros say can't or should not be done .
When they tell you you need a crane and a high cut team it is not because their brother in law has a crane hire company .
The one that always come to mind was a 100' tall macadamia tree in the yard to the rear of a house I rented .
This clot did not want to get up & crown the tree because they would drop into the neighbours yard and perhaps even break the fence .
So he tied a few ropes together ran the rope around the cloths line then up the side of the house to the street where it was tied to the back of his Merc
Well the tree rolled, fell the opposite direction taking 2 houses & 2 garages with it
The rope did not break but it ripped the cloths line out of the ground which was flung into the rear sun room effectively demolishing it.
The Merc was dragged backwards toot the front room of his house out and the neighbours fence , gas meter & water meter before being wedged between the two houses.

He was worried hat the macadamia nuts falling from such a great height would dent the roof of his nice new Merc .
We used to get about 50 Kg of free nuts falling into our yard , it was a very prolific tree .

To be fair, he did consult a feller who wanted better than a months wages to cut down the tree and the same amount of money to remove it .
IT was scheduled to take 2 days after they had council permission to cut it as it was a significant native tree .

So apart from the damage, he was also fined for cutting it down by the council & also got sued by 3 neighbours and charged with criminal damage by the local police.
Wow!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some thing one can never forget
I saw him setting up & tried to mention it was not a good idea, but he was a "manager" so he knew better .
Naturally when it all went pear shape, we took off to a safe distance.
Then of course we were offically evacuated till the fire department had capped the gas leak *& declaired it safe to go back
No gas for the next couple of days
Missed my garage by inches .
Macadamias are slow growing trees so it was probably better than 100 yeas old and being slow growing probably better than 100 tons all up
It took better than a full week for the clean up team to cut the tree up & remove it with long reach heavy lift cranes because they had to lift it over the high voltage feeder wires .
We had to be out of the house for something like 10am to 3pm or some thing like that because the crane lift path went over our roof.

Back then ( late 70's ) it made national news .
Now days it would have been all over the web.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Merc was dragged backwards took the front room of his house out and the neighbours fence , gas meter & water meter before being wedged between the two houses.

So apart from the damage, he was also fined for cutting it down by the council & also got sued by 3 neighbours , charged with criminal damage by the local police and fined by both the water authority & the gas company .
Got that one right. I am amazed at some of the dumb s##t people do with a chainsaw. I don't burn wood but i have taken a fallers course and i do a lot of dropping and bucking dead ash trees around here. Folks call me and want me to drop trees near houses or power lines. I tell them NO, sorry, call a company. My brother in law got his car totaled out by a couple of noninsured retards dropping a dead ash while he was visiting some friends. Folks watch some YouTube vid and think they can steer a leaning tree with some fancy cut they have never done before. NOT. The fallers class was more about what not to do than to do. In fact tomorrow morning me and 2 other guys are going out to cut 3 big dead ashes and buck and split for a family that is having some financial issues and can heat with wood. We cut quite a bit of wood for folks who need it. I don't burn wood but i have 5 chainsaws.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wedge and sledge needed. But I'd stand back and wait too. Can't run as fast as I used to.

When I first moved onto this property, there was a HUGE oak that needed to be cut down. I had it cut all the way through, on all sides, except for about maybe 2" in the center. (usually a saw way to small for it. Anyways, I had the limb cut off of one side, so all the weight was on the other. Still nothing. When it was cut enough, it dropped right in place about an inch, and just stood there. Seriously, nothing left holding it up. So I tied a rope around it, run it though a pulley, in the direction I wanted it to fall. Then onto the back of a pick up in another direction.
It still didn't want to give up.
Finally, it did. But the darn thing went towards the pick up, and not the way the rope was pulling it.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
NEVER use a sloping backcut. No idea why it was cut like that but all i can say is wrong. Someone needs some felling classes.

My dad was the expert tree guy. He owned a tree service in Dallas, back in the 80's. I only got about a month in the summer with him. Most days it was just hauling brush to the trailer.
It fell where I planned it to fall. Not not when I planned it to fall. Darn thing was cut over 1/2 though on both sides. You just can't see it in the pick.
I got to thinking it was going to just drop in place, like the other one did. And fall where it wanted to.