Not giving up, BY GOD!!!!!!!!!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ran across this pic from a few years ago. Trying to cut this dead tree, and it just didn't want to give up. I finally got scared of it, and jus left it alone. A few hours later, the wind picked up and took it down.

34621.jpeg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
need to finish the notch before you back cut. ;)

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
if i can find the video, you'd see that the bottom cut even deeper

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
NEVER use a sloping backcut. No idea why it was cut like that but all i can say is wrong. Someone needs some felling classes.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This tree could fall in any direction. Close to the pasture. Nothing for it to really fall on.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wedge and sledge needed. But I'd stand back and wait too. Can't run as fast as I used to.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only angle cut should be on the hinge cut. There are lots of youtube videos showing how to fell a tree, but none using cuts like this. That tree could go either way.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless someone is a pro feller weekend wood warriors should use the convention face cut and horizontal backcut. Pro loggers use the Humboldt face cut to maximize the use of timber but always use a horizontal backcut. A sloping backcut is probably the most dangerous thing you can do wrong. Watched a guy nearly kill himself on a vid on his phone thinking he could steer a leaner with a sloping backcut. Tree fell backwards and missed him by inches and i got to rebuild his stihl 028 saw the tree crushed.