No spark from coils to spark plugs

Big Bobby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve got a John Deere GX345 removed a Kawasaki 611FV an installed a Kawasaki 590FV in its place hooked up all the connections on the 590 an the motor will turn over but no spark from the coils have fire on both sides of the coils have replaced the delay timing module an the ECM but still no spark from the coils the 590 came off a Craftsman garden tractor an was running great installed the motor on the GX345 both of the motors are liquid cooling motors had to change the wiring harness on the 590 because it didn’t have enough connections like the 611 anyone got any idea what could have caused it to not fire thru coils to spark plugs all ideas appreciated

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First there is no 611FV or 590FV. The GX345 came with FD611V-AS02, or BS02 engines. So I assuming you posted the wrong model numbers.

Both FD611V and FD590V requires 12vdc to the coils.
1674113936383.png
1674114042133.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 345 uses a time delay module in the ignition wiring.
Screenshot_20230119-080919_Chrome.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I figure someone might have the mower side wiring diagram. Tnx posting it Hammer.

The OP has apparently already change the time delay module.

I haven't had a GX series in the shop so I don't have its IPL nor I have spent the $20-$200 for a copy of the SM yet. Kinda rough time of the year to spend extra as I just sent out the door over $1000 in POs yesterday and I am still awaiting the payment on the $1200 Bad Boy repair. Just had to install a new starter as the old one rusted solid.

D

Deleted member 97405

Deere used the 590 in the older 345 tractors. The later 345's had the 611 engine. Then all the GX345's had the 611 engine. I am comparing part numbers on the engine electrical system between the engines on the 345s, and they use all the same parts (pulse coils, ignitor module(black box), ignition coils, flywheel, stator) except the part of the harness that connects to the tractor main harness. The earlier 345 with the 590 doesn't appear to use the time delay module according to the wiring schematic, so that appears to have been added into the system when they changed to the 611 engine, but if you put the complete 611 system on a 590, in theory, it should all work. Your GX345 engine harness is the same part number used on the later 345's, so it should just plug in and work. Something obviously changed when you swapped the engine harnesses. If I read your description correct, you have power to the coils. If true, then the pulse coils either aren't picking up the signal from the flywheel magnet, or there is a wiring mixup going to the ignitor module (which I think you're calling the ECU). Both engines use the same ignitor module and time delay module, so we know there is no conflict there. It's possible the different harness is grounding out something. There is also a possibility that there is an issue on your tractor that you haven't found or didn't know about. I always suspect the circuit board beside the battery because they corrode on the backside and do weird, intermittent stuff as they age. Might want to check that and the 2 fuses on that board as well. Let me know if you still can't get it to fire, and I will upload some wiring diagrams for you. Please give me your GX345 serial number if you need the diagram. Thanks, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a gx345 in the shop right now that the guy is supposed to pick up today. The guy found it on the side of the road with a free sign on it. Had some kind of fire that burned up a bunch of wires at the time delay module. I straightened all that out and did annual maint for $400. Other than a busted up hood it runs great with 600 hours on it. Guy got a real deal.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have a gx345 in the shop right now that the guy is supposed to pick up today. The guy found it on the side of the road with a free sign on it. Had some kind of fire that burned up a bunch of wires at the time delay module. I straightened all that out and did annual maint for $400. Other than a busted up hood it runs great with 600 hours on it. Guy got a real deal.
Now tell me how in the world did that indestructible hood got broken.:ROFLMAO: Those plastic hoods never survive long.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah. I get folks with a green machines all the time wanting to know if i can repair seats and hoods. I thought about getting one of the hot staple tools and work on hoods but the time involved and then guarantee the fix made it a no go.

D

Deleted member 97405

Yeah. I get folks with a green machines all the time wanting to know if i can repair seats and hoods. I thought about getting one of the hot staple tools and work on hoods but the time involved and then guarantee the fix made it a no go.
The top for this model is only about $120. (I have a GT225, and it's the same part) Just grab the hood at the side louvers instead of the top middle, and it will never break! Also remove the 2 black plastic latches on the pedestal so the hood lifts easily. Just remember to not haul your tractor backwards on a trailer, or else it's goodbye hood! My hood is all original from 2002. No cracks. Kinda hard to put any repair labor into it and keep the repair price down enough versus just buying a new top. If the bottom section is broken, that's a different story... :)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is cheap compared to $600+ it was a SST16 hood. It failed due UV damage. Plastic was just rotten. The areas I bonded five years ago were still intact just all new breaks and the customer didn't have the pieces for me to work with.

Even $120 is jolt to some owners.

And yes you have to baby these JD hoods.