New Toro Start Problem

Gord Baker

Threads
Check to see if carb has fuel after sitting for a few days. Replace Filter if there is one and spark plug. Try pressing primer bulb if equipped only 2 times. Sounds like you may be flooding it. Report.

CaptFerd

Threads
Its those junk plastic carbs. Got to tear the apart every year and clean them. I paid more and got a Kohler on mine. No issues at all.

mmoffitt

Threads
Totally agree, but that would mean the OP would have to open their profile. Too many think it’s better no one can see them. It’s like telling them to post model and serial numbers, too hard for many to do, even after you ask for them.
Well then they get NO HELP!

donens2018

Threads
I agree with all the suggestions. Was the fuel just bought or what you had on hand? If fuel you had on hand, I would definitely look at carb since even fuel will deteriorate in 3-4 weeks. Also, did you check oil level before running the first time? Lots of retailers have boxed equipment/engines with only a very slight amount of oil, due to transport restrictions.

jb29204

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with all the suggestions. Was the fuel just bought or what you had on hand? If fuel you had on hand, I would definitely look at carb since even fuel will deteriorate in 3-4 weeks. Also, did you check oil level before running the first time? Lots of retailers have boxed equipment/engines with only a very slight amount of oil, due to transport restrictions.
I also suspected fuel was the issue. Since I bought online. I unboxed the mower, filled with Toro Oil. Went to Raceway and purchased 2 gallons on 90 octane non ethanol mixed well with 2 ounces of Stabil. After about 4 hours using that gas and having the start issue I dumped the gas and bought shell 87 octane with ethanol. Now it starts after 3 or 4 pulls when cold outside temp 68 and 1st pull after initial startup. if it continues cold start with 3 or 4 pulls I can accept that

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
With 4 hours use it shouldn’t have a dirty carb. One trick I’ve found on these engines is to slowly pull the rope start out two times, then go to electric start. That being said, unless it was bought at a big box store, I would have your dealer check it out. A good tech can resolve this problem very quickly.
No engine numbers means we do not know make, model type of start enrichment. Pulling slow on auto choke B&S models can give a bit of enrichment so that the vigorous pull will fire. If primer Tecumseh then prime wait 10 seconds and prime again. This has an advantage on some B&S engines as well. If it is cold, do this 3 times or even 4. If a honda, there are MANY service bul on choke issues. Like many have said time and again, and I must reinforce cause I almost ignored this without ENGINE OR MODEL INFORMATION-- INFORMATION, otherwise all you get is a bunch of stuff not worth reading like this ramble.

jb29204

Forum Newbie
Threads
No engine numbers means we do not know make, model type of start enrichment. Pulling slow on auto choke B&S models can give a bit of enrichment so that the vigorous pull will fire. If primer Tecumseh then prime wait 10 seconds and prime again. This has an advantage on some B&S engines as well. If it is cold, do this 3 times or even 4. If a honda, there are MANY service bul on choke issues. Like many have said time and again, and I must reinforce cause I almost ignored this without ENGINE OR MODEL INFORMATION-- INFORMATION, otherwise all you get is a bunch of stuff not worth reading like this ramble.
Engine is Briggs Stratton model 120000 190 cc. When you say pulling slow on auto choke, are you saying pull start cord slower? I know of no other way to use auto choke. There are no manual choke or primer on this model.

cupboy

Threads
I also suspected fuel was the issue. Since I bought online. I unboxed the mower, filled with Toro Oil. Went to Raceway and purchased 2 gallons on 90 octane non ethanol mixed well with 2 ounces of Stabil. After about 4 hours using that gas and having the start issue I dumped the gas and bought shell 87 octane with ethanol. Now it starts after 3 or 4 pulls when cold outside temp 68 and 1st pull after initial startup. if it continues cold start with 3 or 4 pulls I can accept that
90 octane is a bit high for a lawn mower. I'd try to find some 87 or 88 octane non-ethanol fuel. The higher the octane the harder the fuel is to ignite.

BTBO

Threads
I recently bought 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower. I use the pull cord for starting. Using ethanol free gas. It has never started on 1st or 2nd pull. Always 6 to 12 pulls to get it started. After initial startup, it will start on 1st pull. Is there a fix I can handle or should I return to Toro for service? Is this a common problem for new Toro mowers? It has less than 4 hours run time.
I have a TroyBilt TB160 with a Honda engine w/automatic choke. I also use ethanol free gas, but to it I add 2 oz/gallon of Seafoam, Yamaha Ring Free (1 oz treats 10 gals) and Stabil Marine. During cutting season, it cranks up after 2 pulls max. Even when cutting season is over and the mower has been sitting awhile, no more that 3-5 pulls to get it running. Also, I won't ever let any gas powered engine sit idle without starting it at least once per month. One of the worst things for an engine is to not run it.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
pull the rope slowly until you feel it bind a little. That is the engine kicking back and telling you it is ready to fire. If you have enough rope left pull hard. If not then let the rope back in and pull. I can start my Toro on one pull this way every time. But if I just pull it, it may take 4 or 5 tries.