Export thread

New Toro Start Problem

J

jb29204

I recently bought 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower. I use the pull cord for starting. Using ethanol free gas. It has never started on 1st or 2nd pull. Always 6 to 12 pulls to get it started. After initial startup, it will start on 1st pull. Is there a fix I can handle or should I return to Toro for service? Is this a common problem for new Toro mowers? It has less than 4 hours run time.

Update 7-15-2022 It finally dawned on me the problem could be the the additive I have used in previous mowers and continued to use in my new mower. I have always used Stabil storage additive with no problems. But, apparently my new mower doesn't like it. I always use freshly open Stabil as directed and discard any not used in 1 year. After I drained the tank and added 87 octane with no additive it has cranked on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. Thanks to everyone providing feedback. No more additives. I will keep less gas on hand and pour any left over into my truck after 2 months. Would it be recommended to run the mower tank empty when it will not be used for 2-3 months ?

R

Rivets

If it is still in warranty I recommend that you have it repaired by your dealer.

K

ken2

Sounds like the choke isn't working.

sgkent

sgkent

I've found on my toro that if I pull the cord slowly it will come out to a certain point and get resistance. If I don't feel that resistance I let the cord back in and try again. When I feel that resistance I pull hard and it starts the first pull each time. Before that it used to take me more pulls. I hit the primer bulb on mine 4 to 5 times. Having a full tank helps on mine.

R

rebelyell

I've got a Toro 22" electric start personal pace recycler, etc. all the things... and it has the same behavior. Initial startup after sitting a few days takes a min for the starter and several pulls. I always figured it was because there's no way to manually prime it.

upupandaway

upupandaway

If it is still in warranty I recommend that you have it repaired by your dealer.
I would do some troubleshooting before he takes it in only to be told a "dirty carb" is not covered by warranty.

-look at carb opening. Being cold, is the choke closed? Does the choke connect to a lever that connects to something else(like auto choke or thermal choke) If open when cold, then u have something they should repair.
-if closed, spray a little starting fluid\pour in a spoon of gas into the carb. Does it start? If Y, then need clean carb. They likely wouldn't cover that under warranty.

R

Rivets

With 4 hours use it shouldn’t have a dirty carb. One trick I’ve found on these engines is to slowly pull the rope start out two times, then go to electric start. That being said, unless it was bought at a big box store, I would have your dealer check it out. A good tech can resolve this problem very quickly.

I

ILENGINE

I wish the location information was included as part of the avatar on the side so we know where they are posting from. So many of these newer engines can be affected by temperature when starting.

R

Rivets

Totally agree, but that would mean the OP would have to open their profile. Too many think it’s better no one can see them. It’s like telling them to post model and serial numbers, too hard for many to do, even after you ask for them.

J

jb29204

With 4 hours use it shouldn’t have a dirty carb. One trick I’ve found on these engines is to slowly pull the rope start out two times, then go to electric start. That being said, unless it was bought at a big box store, I would have your dealer check it out. A good tech can resolve this problem very quickly.
It was bought online from Home Depot. Will call Toro to see what they suggest. There is a authorized Toro repair shop near me.

G

Gord Baker

Check to see if carb has fuel after sitting for a few days. Replace Filter if there is one and spark plug. Try pressing primer bulb if equipped only 2 times. Sounds like you may be flooding it. Report.

C

CaptFerd

Its those junk plastic carbs. Got to tear the apart every year and clean them. I paid more and got a Kohler on mine. No issues at all.

M

mmoffitt

Totally agree, but that would mean the OP would have to open their profile. Too many think it’s better no one can see them. It’s like telling them to post model and serial numbers, too hard for many to do, even after you ask for them.
Well then they get NO HELP!

D

donens2018

I agree with all the suggestions. Was the fuel just bought or what you had on hand? If fuel you had on hand, I would definitely look at carb since even fuel will deteriorate in 3-4 weeks. Also, did you check oil level before running the first time? Lots of retailers have boxed equipment/engines with only a very slight amount of oil, due to transport restrictions.

J

jb29204

I agree with all the suggestions. Was the fuel just bought or what you had on hand? If fuel you had on hand, I would definitely look at carb since even fuel will deteriorate in 3-4 weeks. Also, did you check oil level before running the first time? Lots of retailers have boxed equipment/engines with only a very slight amount of oil, due to transport restrictions.
I also suspected fuel was the issue. Since I bought online. I unboxed the mower, filled with Toro Oil. Went to Raceway and purchased 2 gallons on 90 octane non ethanol mixed well with 2 ounces of Stabil. After about 4 hours using that gas and having the start issue I dumped the gas and bought shell 87 octane with ethanol. Now it starts after 3 or 4 pulls when cold outside temp 68 and 1st pull after initial startup. if it continues cold start with 3 or 4 pulls I can accept that

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

No engine numbers means we do not know make, model type of start enrichment. Pulling slow on auto choke B&S models can give a bit of enrichment so that the vigorous pull will fire. If primer Tecumseh then prime wait 10 seconds and prime again. This has an advantage on some B&S engines as well. If it is cold, do this 3 times or even 4. If a honda, there are MANY service bul on choke issues. Like many have said time and again, and I must reinforce cause I almost ignored this without ENGINE OR MODEL INFORMATION-- INFORMATION, otherwise all you get is a bunch of stuff not worth reading like this ramble.

J

jb29204

No engine numbers means we do not know make, model type of start enrichment. Pulling slow on auto choke B&S models can give a bit of enrichment so that the vigorous pull will fire. If primer Tecumseh then prime wait 10 seconds and prime again. This has an advantage on some B&S engines as well. If it is cold, do this 3 times or even 4. If a honda, there are MANY service bul on choke issues. Like many have said time and again, and I must reinforce cause I almost ignored this without ENGINE OR MODEL INFORMATION-- INFORMATION, otherwise all you get is a bunch of stuff not worth reading like this ramble.
Engine is Briggs Stratton model 120000 190 cc. When you say pulling slow on auto choke, are you saying pull start cord slower? I know of no other way to use auto choke. There are no manual choke or primer on this model.

C

cupboy

I also suspected fuel was the issue. Since I bought online. I unboxed the mower, filled with Toro Oil. Went to Raceway and purchased 2 gallons on 90 octane non ethanol mixed well with 2 ounces of Stabil. After about 4 hours using that gas and having the start issue I dumped the gas and bought shell 87 octane with ethanol. Now it starts after 3 or 4 pulls when cold outside temp 68 and 1st pull after initial startup. if it continues cold start with 3 or 4 pulls I can accept that
90 octane is a bit high for a lawn mower. I'd try to find some 87 or 88 octane non-ethanol fuel. The higher the octane the harder the fuel is to ignite.

B

BTBO

I recently bought 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower. I use the pull cord for starting. Using ethanol free gas. It has never started on 1st or 2nd pull. Always 6 to 12 pulls to get it started. After initial startup, it will start on 1st pull. Is there a fix I can handle or should I return to Toro for service? Is this a common problem for new Toro mowers? It has less than 4 hours run time.
I have a TroyBilt TB160 with a Honda engine w/automatic choke. I also use ethanol free gas, but to it I add 2 oz/gallon of Seafoam, Yamaha Ring Free (1 oz treats 10 gals) and Stabil Marine. During cutting season, it cranks up after 2 pulls max. Even when cutting season is over and the mower has been sitting awhile, no more that 3-5 pulls to get it running. Also, I won't ever let any gas powered engine sit idle without starting it at least once per month. One of the worst things for an engine is to not run it.

sgkent

sgkent

pull the rope slowly until you feel it bind a little. That is the engine kicking back and telling you it is ready to fire. If you have enough rope left pull hard. If not then let the rope back in and pull. I can start my Toro on one pull this way every time. But if I just pull it, it may take 4 or 5 tries.

RetireeRon

RetireeRon

If if it was me I would return the mower to Home Depot. A new mower should never require that much effort to start unless something is amiss from the factory.

J

jb29204

Follow up.. Left the mower with local authorized Toro repair shop for two weeks. Required $30.00 deposit and was charged additional $24.00 when I picked it up. They said the problem was fixed and not a warranty covered issue. They diagnosed the problem as stale fuel. Flushed system and replaced the fuel. I called bs on that because i used 3 different top tier fuel sources including 87 octane with ethanol and non ethanol. The day I picked it up it did start on first pull before loading on my truck. With the engine having been started earlier in the day that's expected. The problem only exists when the engine has not been started for a day or more. The start up problem continued with all three and still Continues since I picked the mower up from the shop, When I dropped the mower off I mentioned to the clerk the problem was probably a choke issue. He reply was "can't be this mower does not have a choke. " I think it does have auto choke controlled by thermostat if its like previous mowers I have owned.

G

Gord Baker

I agree with the choke issue. Try removing the Air Filter and see if you can see the Choke butterfly disc.
It should be closed when cold. Good luck.

R

Rivets

Jb, we’ve asked this before, but I’ll try one more time. Please give us model and serial numbers for your Toro. Also give us all model numbers of the engine. With them we can identify what type of starting system you have, primer or auto choke.

S

slomo

Now who would take a new mower back to walmart or home depot for repair LOL. Can't even get a human being to check me out at the register. And we think there is some depot level repair shop there?

Most of these are not bought at real mower shops as in dealers.

J

jb29204

Jb, we’ve asked this before, but I’ll try one more time. Please give us model and serial numbers for your Toro. Also give us all model numbers of the engine. With them we can identify what type of starting system you have, primer or auto choke.
Toro 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower Model # 21387 ser no. 410039984 purchase date 2-10-2022 area used South Carolina. Gasoline used Shell 87 oct Exxon 87 oct shell 90 oct non ethanol.

R

Rivets

Toro site doesn’t provide us with the engine model numbers. We will need those numbers. If you can’t find them, post a picture of the QR code and we can use that to get the numbers. If you bought it from Home Depot, was it in a box or did they give you one off the floor? If it was off the floor, I would be returning it, as it was

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

1) Some models have a recall.
2) After it has been run, try not using the stow feature and see if it acts differently. And this stow feature may be related to recall as the float in the carb has trouble reacting to the motions involved if I am not mistaken.

sgkent

sgkent

your issue is a flooding problem. There is a slow leak at the needle, or as mentioned, the stow position is causing an issue with fuel leakage. If you want to keep the mower I suggest you add a shut off valve to the fuel line going to the carb if stowing it flat doesn't stop the issue. A choke problem etc., would show up a couple hours after it is run. A slow leaking float / needle issue would show up hours to a day later, or after the mower is tipped so fuel spills into a cylinder. That is my two cents on this.

J

jb29204

Toro site doesn’t provide us with the engine model numbers. We will need those numbers. If you can’t find them, post a picture of the QR code and we can use that to get the numbers. If you bought it from Home Depot, was it in a box or did they give you one off the floor? If it was off the floor, I would be returning it, as it was

Attachments

S

slomo

Engine model number is 125P05-0065-F1

As others stated, check for proper choke operation.

sgkent

sgkent

I vote to call HD, we had a toro weedwacker that died in warranty. The paper work said take it to a Toro warranty station. I called around and no one wanted to help me. I called HD and said what do I do. They said our store at XYZ has a rental service that does warranty evaluations. Took it to them, they said go get another one, we'll send this one back., Problem solved.

R

Rivets

I just reread this entire thread twice and see a lot of confusing info on what the OP should do, by those who have different units with different carbs. This doesn’t help the OP resolve his problem. Now that we finally know which engine and carb he has, I would recommend the following. Seeing that the unit was purchased online, through a Big Box store website, I would contact their brick and mortar store with all information of how you have try to resolve the problem. Make sure you have all paper work with you, DOP, unit model and serial numbers, engine numbers, repair work order. If they refuse to work with you, you will have to contact corporate through the website. I understand that this is going to take you some work and time to resolve, which again supports my ongoing recommendation to always buy from a dealership.
That all said, I’ve got a problem with the dealer you took it to for service. According to the model number this engine does have a choke, so the tech you spoke to is any idiot and is blowing you off. Second, if it was a bad fuel problem they should have saved some of the fuel to show you what they found. I’ve worked at dealerships since the early 80’s and these type of fools give all dealerships a bad rap. I will agree that these plastic carbs can be a real pain in the butt, especially for inexperienced techs, which is why I see many of them blaming the problem on bad fuel.

S

slomo

Most busy mower shops don't want to mess with tiny push mower engines. They get slash make more money on 0-turn tanks. That E-10 and stale fuel comment is a total blow off. Most all engine manuals say okay on E-10 and lower alky gas.

Find a small shop where one guys works there. We have a really good one here in my town. If home cheapo can't help you that is.

R

Rivets

Slomo, i don’t know what kind of gas you have there, but E-10 fuel starts to gum up carbs here after 30 days of non use. It’s ok if you are constantly changing over, but not for unit which will be in storage over an extended period.

S

slomo

Slomo, i don’t know what kind of gas you have there, but E-10 fuel starts to gum up carbs here after 30 days of non use. It’s ok if you are constantly changing over, but not for unit which will be in storage over an extended period.
Don't worry, I stay away from E-10 like a bad haircut.

Looks like you have an extra 0 after your number 3. More like 3 days LOL.

W

Woody71

I had this problem surface on my Toro recycler 20378. After some research I determined it had to do with the choke. Removed the engine cowling and re-asjusted the choke arm (must have gotten bound open by my snagging a low tree branch) and it's been working like new, starting on the 1st pull. The Kohler engine has a somewhat wonky choke system.

J

jb29204

Update 7-15-2022 It finally dawned on me the problem could be the the additive I have used in previous mowers and continued to use in my new mower. I have always used Stabil storage additive with no problems. But, apparently my new mower doesn't like it. I always use freshly open Stabil as directed and discard any not used in 1 year. After I drained the tank and added 87 octane with no additive it has cranked on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. Thanks to everyone providing feedback. No more additives. I will keep less gas on hand and pour any left over into my truck after 2 months. Would it be recommended to run the mower tank empty when it will not be used for 2-3 months ?

R

Rivets

Thank you for the update and glad to hear the problem has been resolved. I was a big promoter of Stabil until about 12 years ago. Found the same results as you did and now I don’t recommend it for an small engine. Yes, I would run it dry for any extended storage. After you run it dry, make sure you store it vertically, so the jets are not submerged in fuel during storage.

S

slomo

I've had nothing but good luck using Sta-bil. Keep mine in the house instead of out in the 120 plus or -0 weather garage. Has a shelf life of 2 years I think it was. Always shake the jug prior to using.

Used to drain trimmers, blowers and mowers for winter. Found fuel lines got dry and hard, had to replace all the time. Sta-bil stopped all that for me. Starts on 1-2 pulls next season.

J

jb29204

Should I be concerned with the loaping idle of this B & S engine. Less than 10 hours on the mower bought in March.Starts on 1st or 2nd pull now when starting up. It intermittently starts the loaping when mowing. Before warranty runs out, would like to make sure i do all I can to get it right. This is my 4 mower with B & S engine. Never has issues till this mower. Should I forget it and move on? I'll try to post a link to a short video with the sound. https://share.icloud.com/photos/086LoQTgy0cv3yJ-P8Pnm7GVw

R

Rivets

I would have the unit checked out, but you’ll probably have a problem getting it covered under warranty. If it came to me like that I would be pulling and cleaning the jets, because I think they are probably clogged. Because of the addition of StaBil and possibly bad fuel, I’m guessing that they will claim a fuel related problem, not covered under warranty. Just my opinion, read my signature, but not the first time I’ve seen this problem.

G

Gord Baker

Run some Carb cleaner through it from the Fuel Filter . There are many things it could be. Likely running lean.

B

bertsmobile1

Run some Carb cleaner through it from the Fuel Filter . There are many things it could be. Likely running lean.
Carb cleaner through the venturi does absolutely nothing
Injector cleaner in the fuel can soften varnish bit that is a double edge sword as the softened varnish can then fall off & totally clog a passageway or dissolve the crud & pass through the engine .

G

Gord Baker

Carb cleaner through the venturi does absolutely nothing
Injector cleaner in the fuel can soften varnish bit that is a double edge sword as the softened varnish can then fall off & totally clog a passageway or dissolve the crud & pass through the engine .
You obviously know little about the workings of a Carburetor. Carb cleaner introduced into the Fuel supply at the Filter which is close to the engine passes by various internal passages such as needle and seat, sometimes a fine screen, into the Float Bowl, through various orifices up the Emulsion tube on some and/or past needle valves on others. The small amount would not dissolve the unlikely varnish build up which does not 'fall off in chunks'. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Likely the main jet needs to be cleaned or possibly bored out slightly with letter/number drills.

B

bertsmobile1

You obviously know little about the workings of a Carburetor. Carb cleaner introduced into the Fuel supply at the Filter which is close to the engine passes by various internal passages such as needle and seat, sometimes a fine screen, into the Float Bowl, through various orifices up the Emulsion tube on some and/or past needle valves on others. The small amount would not dissolve the unlikely varnish build up which does not 'fall off in chunks'. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Likely the main jet needs to be cleaned or possibly bored out slightly with letter/number drills.
Appologies
Must have has the brain in backwards this morning
Did not notice you said FUEL filter , just saw filter and jumped to the wrong assumption.

G

Gord Baker

Appologies
Must have has the brain in backwards this morning
Did not notice you said FUEL filter , just saw filter and jumped to the wrong assumption.
I have done the same. All Good.

sgkent

sgkent

does that model have a mixture adjustment? Is the choke full open when it lopes.

OldToroGuy

OldToroGuy

It as interesting to read this Post because I've had trouble with my Super Recycler trying to start it when it's already been running. Rivets has given me some comments in the past. I've been told at least in the case of the John Deere Riding mowers sold at HD, they are not the same as the ones sold at a JD dealer. I don't know if that is true or not.

I do have a comment about using Sta-Bil. I have used Sta-Bil for probably 25 years now with no problems. I used the red colored one for several years and something I read about it's effectiveness led me to start using the Blue Marine Sta-Bil for the last several years with no problems. I have a Honda 3500 Generator that is 21 or 22 years old now and if I haven't had to use it in the past year, I roll it out of my basement, and it always starts on the first pull. I will run the generator at load for 30 minutes then I drain all of the fuel out and put fresh fuel with Sta-Bil in it. I have a couple of other 5 gallons cans of gas and I always try to rotate it out every year but sometimes it has been longer than that before I dump the gas in my car and buy fresh gas. I've also noticed 2 cycle gas doesn't seem to have any problems in my grass trimmer, chainsaws, and backpack blower no matter how old it is. This doesn't sound like what some of you have found but for me I've had good experiences with the Sta-Bil.

S

slomo

This is the first confirmed post on the interscreen about Sta-Bil causing a no start condition. I use it in everything I own, 2 and 4 strokes. My Sta-Bil right now is 3 years old as in out of date per the bottle. Not buying this. Or maybe you got a bad bottle some how?? If so dump the tank, flush the fuel system and try again.

Still think this is a choke issue. Don't see any traction on someone looking into a simple choke issue. This simple call for help is on 5 pages now with no resolve in sight.

S

slomo

Should I be concerned with the loaping idle of this B & S engine. Less than 10 hours on the mower bought in March.Starts on 1st or 2nd pull now when starting up. It intermittently starts the loaping when mowing. Before warranty runs out, would like to make sure i do all I can to get it right. This is my 4 mower with B & S engine. Never has issues till this mower. Should I forget it and move on? I'll try to post a link to a short video with the sound. https://share.icloud.com/photos/086LoQTgy0cv3yJ-P8Pnm7GVw
Concerned? Yes.

After 5 pages, I'm not seeing any fixing action on the OP's part. All these people crying out about checking the choke. Nothing done about it. Then all of a sudden, removing Sta-Bil is the fix all cure of lawn mowers now. These mowers have a common choke adjustment issue. As in an exhaust thermostat and air vanes.....

1.Take a glass canning jar. Dump fuel out of your fuel can into this glass jar. Look for water in the bottom of the jar. Let the fuel sit for a minute. Report back here.

2.Do you have an old fuel can maybe with no cap on the spout? Best to buy a new pain in the azz slow pouring can. Keeps the fuel fresh much longer than an open top spout.

3.Possible you got water in the gas directly from the station. Mower monkies said they put fresh fuel in and it started fine for them.

4.Are you storing it vertically or upright? Using that smart stow wonder feature? I would refrain from it if you are.

G

Gord Baker

If people would just run their equipment until it stalls from lack of fuel then if possible drain the Float Bowl and fuel tank, many of these problems would be solved. ALWAYS use Premium Fuel WITHOUT Methanol if possible. No storage problems.

S

slomo

Wish more engines had the Honda drain plug on the carb bowl. An extra nine cents to solve many running issues.