New Toro Start Problem

RetireeRon

Threads
If if it was me I would return the mower to Home Depot. A new mower should never require that much effort to start unless something is amiss from the factory.

jb29204

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower. I use the pull cord for starting. Using ethanol free gas. It has never started on 1st or 2nd pull. Always 6 to 12 pulls to get it started. After initial startup, it will start on 1st pull. Is there a fix I can handle or should I return to Toro for service? Is this a common problem for new Toro mowers? It has less than 4 hours run time.
Follow up.. Left the mower with local authorized Toro repair shop for two weeks. Required $30.00 deposit and was charged additional $24.00 when I picked it up. They said the problem was fixed and not a warranty covered issue. They diagnosed the problem as stale fuel. Flushed system and replaced the fuel. I called bs on that because i used 3 different top tier fuel sources including 87 octane with ethanol and non ethanol. The day I picked it up it did start on first pull before loading on my truck. With the engine having been started earlier in the day that's expected. The problem only exists when the engine has not been started for a day or more. The start up problem continued with all three and still Continues since I picked the mower up from the shop, When I dropped the mower off I mentioned to the clerk the problem was probably a choke issue. He reply was "can't be this mower does not have a choke. " I think it does have auto choke controlled by thermostat if its like previous mowers I have owned.

Gord Baker

Threads
I agree with the choke issue. Try removing the Air Filter and see if you can see the Choke butterfly disc.
It should be closed when cold. Good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jb, we’ve asked this before, but I’ll try one more time. Please give us model and serial numbers for your Toro. Also give us all model numbers of the engine. With them we can identify what type of starting system you have, primer or auto choke.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is still in warranty I recommend that you have it repaired by your dealer.
Now who would take a new mower back to walmart or home depot for repair LOL. Can't even get a human being to check me out at the register. And we think there is some depot level repair shop there?

Most of these are not bought at real mower shops as in dealers.

jb29204

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jb, we’ve asked this before, but I’ll try one more time. Please give us model and serial numbers for your Toro. Also give us all model numbers of the engine. With them we can identify what type of starting system you have, primer or auto choke.
Toro 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower Model # 21387 ser no. 410039984 purchase date 2-10-2022 area used South Carolina. Gasoline used Shell 87 oct Exxon 87 oct shell 90 oct non ethanol.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro site doesn’t provide us with the engine model numbers. We will need those numbers. If you can’t find them, post a picture of the QR code and we can use that to get the numbers. If you bought it from Home Depot, was it in a box or did they give you one off the floor? If it was off the floor, I would be returning it, as it was

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I recently bought 21 in. Super Recycler Personal Pace SmartStow 190 cc Briggs with Electric Start Walk Behind Mower. I use the pull cord for starting. Using ethanol free gas. It has never started on 1st or 2nd pull. Always 6 to 12 pulls to get it started. After initial startup, it will start on 1st pull. Is there a fix I can handle or should I return to Toro for service? Is this a common problem for new Toro mowers? It has less than 4 hours run time.
1) Some models have a recall.
2) After it has been run, try not using the stow feature and see if it acts differently. And this stow feature may be related to recall as the float in the carb has trouble reacting to the motions involved if I am not mistaken.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
your issue is a flooding problem. There is a slow leak at the needle, or as mentioned, the stow position is causing an issue with fuel leakage. If you want to keep the mower I suggest you add a shut off valve to the fuel line going to the carb if stowing it flat doesn't stop the issue. A choke problem etc., would show up a couple hours after it is run. A slow leaking float / needle issue would show up hours to a day later, or after the mower is tipped so fuel spills into a cylinder. That is my two cents on this.

jb29204

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro site doesn’t provide us with the engine model numbers. We will need those numbers. If you can’t find them, post a picture of the QR code and we can use that to get the numbers. If you bought it from Home Depot, was it in a box or did they give you one off the floor? If it was off the floor, I would be returning it, as it was

Attachments

• Toro Engine no.jpg
    Toro Engine no.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8