New to me Tiger Cat

Sonders

Threads
Some of you may have seen my post while looking for a new Scag. The 12' Tiger Cat with 61" deck I ended up with is pretty nice. However I noticed earlier that with the deck up in transport position the right deck guide wheel rubs against the front caster wheel while going forward. Is that how it's supposed to be or is something out of whack?

Sonders

Threads
Here ya go Mad Mackie.
I mowed at 4" so it was still rubbing while mowing. I'm sure if the deck is dropped lower it wouldn't rub.

Also, under the seat base where these two open circles are, I looked in parts manual and looks like two retainer pins with springs go there? I assume to keep the seat base from rubbing on that lower plate?

And finally a shot of it after I cleaned all the caked grass clippings out from under deck from previous owner before I start using it.

whelch1

Threads
The tiger cat doesn't come from the factory with flat free castors, they are an upgrade. I wonder if that's why they are rubbing? Also if they are bigger than normal, could that be why the deck has back rake?

Sonders

Threads
Probably so Welch. Didn't realize they didn't come with flat free casters. I know the new ones do. Just read in the manual that the deck is supposed to be level. I was thinking of my old TT w/ Advantage deck that was supposed to be 1/4" pitched forward.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several things that I noticed from your pics.
a. The seat switch and the support ring that it is mounted into are missing.
b. The seat support is missing the two springs that hold the seat off the seat switch when no one is on the seat.
c. The maximum front caster tire size for a 61" Tiger Cat is 13X6.5x6, check the tires to see what size they are.
d. The part number marked in red on the R/H front fork tells me that this is a replacement part. I wonder why it was replaced, possibly the PO had an incident with this machine and bent the original fork and possibly the front support, the weldment that holds the casters, may be bent causing the R/H front caster tire to come in contact with the anti-scalp wheel on the deck.
If you purchased this machine from a dealer, I suggest that you return it to them and ask them to restore it to the original configuration or return your money.
With no seat switch, this machine is a safety hazard to the operator.
Not only has this machine been "butchered", but it may have been damaged from an accident that involved the front suspension and possibly the machine frame and/or the deck. If the machine frame is bent in any way, then you will never be able to get the deck leveled correctly.
This machine may have more "hidden" problems that could haunt you later on.
Just my thoughts!!!

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm going to my local Scag dealer today or tomorrow and I will look at the 61" Tiger Cat that they have in stock.

Sonders

Threads
Well crap, I thought I did good on my purchase but it appears not ?

Sonders

Threads
As I've been reading theough the operators manual I noticed it says to measure from top of deck because the bottom of Velocity deck is uneven. I was taking my measurements from all 4 bottom corners. I'll have to recheck that. Also looked through parts manual and I see the seat switch, but I can't find an actual drawing or part # for the ring it goes in that goes in the seat base. I'll have to trace the wiring harness and see what previous owner did with the plug for it. Really bummed about my purchase now.

Sonders

Threads
I checked the front casters when I got home today. They are 13x6.5-6/4.5. Also, checking deck level by measuring top of deck at all four corners shows it being dead on level. So thats good atleast.