New oil extractor woes

Born2Mow

Threads
You got a pic of that
Got no photos. I bought a used medical vacuum pump off of Ebay. I think it was like $20 for a Gast brand pump with 1/4HP motor. Gast is a good US-made industrial grade brand. Plumbed it all up with ice maker tubing and a rubber stopper from the hardware store. I've been sucking out engine oil, transmission oil, brake fluid and old gasoline for 5 or 6 years. If the engine is hot, I can drain a car's engine oil faster than I can change the filter out.

Born2Mow

Threads
I use an old fire extinguisher bottle. Looks to be 11ga steel.

You got a pic of that?

SIsqI1M.jpg

Shown is a used 120VAC Gast (brand) medical pump (pressure or vacuum) set up for vacuum. The first several plastic bottles I tried collapsed, then came the idea of using a dead fire extinguisher bottle. Rubber stopper is generic rubber stopper from hardware store. Drill two 1/4" holes in the stopper and insert the two pieces of "ice maker" hose. I've been vacuuming liquids out of engines, brake fluid reservoirs, transaxles, etc, now for 5 years. I'm on my second rubber stopper. Total cost was under $30.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
SIsqI1M.jpg

Shown is a used 120VAC Gast (brand) medical pump (pressure or vacuum) set up for vacuum. The first several plastic bottles I tried collapsed, then came the idea of using a dead fire extinguisher bottle. Rubber stopper is generic rubber stopper from hardware store. Drill two 1/4" holes in the stopper and insert the two pieces of "ice maker" hose. I've been vacuuming liquids out of engines, brake fluid reservoirs, transaxles, etc, now for 5 years. I'm on my second rubber stopper. Total cost was under $30.

Hope this helps.

That's really cool. The guy who owns the shop here had an old vacuum pump he used to use to extract freon from carrs. He was going to junk it. I wonder if he's still got it. The R12 freon it pumped is outdated now. I'm gonna look around for the pump and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the idea.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The outdated R12 Freon, is crazy expensive $$$ per lb, & there is still a demand..

Born2Mow

Threads
Free is always good.
I found that pump on Ebay. They show a lot of used medical equipment, which is often good, but simply outdated. This is stuff resellers buy at auction for pennies, then hope to make money on the microscopes and other expensive items. Often times pumps will do either vacuum or pressure, it simply depends on which port you connect to. You really need to study the photos.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The outdated R12 Freon, is crazy expensive $$$ per lb, & there is still a demand..

I'm kicking myself in the butt now for not keeping that. It went to the scrap yard. UGH.

Born2Mow

Threads
I saw vacuum/ pressure pumps (used) on Ebay yesterday starting around $25. Specify "Used", then enter searches like "medical pump", "gast pump", "small pump", "electric pump"....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should be miles of old medical pumps out there.
Hospitals do not repair things like pumps due to liability problems if they fail .
So all faulty equipment gets sold off.
A friend got a load of bed lifts with leaky seals that he converted to engine lifts before you could get them from China for pennies.