New Leftover 2020 Hustler SD 48" Mower

mzdrati

Threads
Thank you, Bert; that makes perfect sense. I spoke with Hustler Customer Service again today, and they confirmed that the Hustler Raptor 48" mower is indeed 49" wide (with the chute up). Maybe that number is more like 49.22" and it is rounded down, but I will find out when I see the machine and measure it. I also confirmed that there is a simple way to put the mower into "neutral". Apparently there are these gold-colored quick releases that you pull (one on each rear wheel hydro) and it allows you to push the mower by hand. I have no personal experience with this, and am only repeating what the Customer Service rep told me on the phone. She stated that many consumers do this regularly to put it into their storage sheds. They shut off the mower, unlock the hydros, and push it into the shed. When removing the mower from the shed for use, they do the same, pulling the mower out of the shed and locking the hydros before starting the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the 49" is probably measures at the bottom of the deck
But the chute is on the top of the deck.
The chute has 4" sides and is mounted one inch back from edge of the deck so when vertical it adds 2" to the total width
Got a customer with a Z Master who forgot about the chute so he took it off and fitted mulching plate.
The couple of times a year the grass is too tall or thick to mulch, he removes it and wears the grass clippings ( literally )

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And be careful with the unlock on those hydros. That is (I think) a mechanical connection. When you pull the mower out of the shed make sure to re-engage and rock the mower back and forth to make sure it does fully engage.

mzdrati

Threads
I'm guessing it will work something like this?:

I'll be doing this each time I use the mower (unless I get really good at maneuvering it into my shed (if it fits, that is)).

The dealer offering the mower for sale called me to tell me that it is in (they had it at a different location, and they moved it to the location closer to me). The guy that called me took a tape measure and he and another guy went over to the mower while I was on the phone and confirmed that it is "right at 49 inches wide" when measured with the chute in the up position. I realize that sounds incorrect, but that is what I am being told (and is what the spec sheet states, and is what Hustler CS confirmed as well, although they may just be reading the same spec sheet too). I will measure it myself when I go to see it one day this week. Thanks for taking the time to try to assist me.

mzdrati

Threads
Note just because the deck size is 48" doesn't mean the overall width is 48". Mowers are usually a little wider than the deck size so it is likely be a very tight fit if at all. Do a physical width measurement to be sure it will through the opening.

As Star said very few 48" decks will be 50" or less .
The blades have around 1/2" clearance so you are up to 49" INTERNALLY
Then the 2 sides of 1/4" to 3/16" thick steel adds another 1/2"
Most decks have a rubbing strip on the left side so there is another 1/2" and hey we are now up to 50"
Then there is the chute overhang
I am yet to find a deck other than Swisher where the discharge flap , even when folded fully back does not add at least 1 " to the overall width
So you are now at 51" and if you think you are going to drive in & out with only a 1/4 " each side, you are deluding yourself.
My trailer is 46" between the gates and I have to remove about 1/3 of the 42" decks off to get them in.
Not a single 44 " deck will drive in
I know this topic is months old- but I am posting this in case it helps someone else with the same question. I believe Hustler manufactures relatively high quality machines (at least for residential use), but one of my biggest concerns was whether this mower would fit into my shed. After doing extensive research- I ended up buying this brand new 2020 leftover 48" Hustler Raptor in February of this year. Since it was the middle of winter- the dealership offered to keep it until spring, and they just delivered it today (May 3rd). I physically measured the mower when I went to look at it in February, and as far as I could tell it indeed measured 49" at it's widest point (with the chute flipped up), just as the specifications state. I totally agree with your opinion that if a mower is advertised as a 48" cut / deck that the overall width will almost certainly be at least a few inches wider. The first thing that I did before the delivery truck even left was to park it in my shed, (which has an opening that is 51" wide) and was really surprised that 1) it fit with an inch to spare on each side (with the discharge chute held up) and 2) that this thing is SO controllable (even by me- and I've never driven a ZTR mower before) that I had no problem driving it up the ramp and into my shed the very first time I tried without hitting anything. I'm not writing to prove you wrong- but to add to the knowledge base here.

I guess I was expecting to be disappointed in some way. I even sold my 14 year-old, 220 hour Craftsman 42" DYT4000 for $500 on Craigslist (which is pretty shocking), and I saw it drive off with the new owner just yesterday.

It was dry out this morning when the delivery truck arrived, so I got to practice a little until it started raining an hour or so later, but it's quite different than what I had grown used to with a lawn tractor. There is a bit of a learning curve with the controls (having only ever used a push mower or a lawn tractor), but I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. I appreciate the advice and feedback offered by all who tried to help me.

1slow5point0h

Threads
I picked up my second Raptor SD last year. Had a 48” and sold it, then found a 60” listed on Lowe’s website for $3299, less than I paid a couple years earlier for my 48”. My 48” would occasionally have the tensioner come loose when mowing at the lowest setting. No issues with this one so far.

mzdrati

Threads
I wanted to thank all of the members and contributors here who helped me get through my first season with my new Hustler Raptor SD. I found the "lap bar" style steering to be a bit difficult, and had a bit of a learning curve, but now that I cut one complete season with it- I'm pretty proficient. One drastic difference (one that I had hoped would materialize) is the reduction in mowing time from my beloved but relatively ancient Craftsman DYT4000. That tractor did a very poor job mulching grass, so I always picked it up into twin rear-mounted hoppers, and aside from the slow cutting speeds required, there was the stopping every few passes to dump the grass. My mowing time is now only 1/3 of what it was... I am truly thrilled with this purchase, and appreciate the effectiveness of this mower in getting this task done quickly and efficiently.

Now that the grass is no longer growing (I'm in the Northeast) I want to put the mower away for the season. Since this is my first winter with this mower- I am looking for advice on putting it away / storing it (in my weatherproof shed). With my other yard machines- I typically clean them thoroughly, and run them out of fuel, then remove the battery (if it has one) to put on a battery maintainer inside my house. Anything additional for this Kawasaki engine?

The machines I am used to owning were all built in the 90's or early 2000's, so I just wanted to make sure that the winterization process is basically the same for a modern machine.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Change the oil so it is sitting in the off season with nice fresh oil free from contaminants .
Apart from that everything else sounds good.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congrats on the New Hustler, & that width is correct. A relative up North has a Hustler Flip-up deck & he loves it. Had a Hustler Raptor 48" prior to this new one, & he loved that one too.

All the Z's have "pump dumps" of various forms, but do the same thing, which is to by-pass the hydros.

I have a new 48" LIberty (Black out Edition) & it is only 49" wide chute up. That fits just right in my shop. + 5 year warranty. It is a sweet machine.

My former Toro Z 42" measured 45.3" wide chute up.

Anyhow, if you sell that craftsman rider, ask more than $100. Used mowers are red hot now, & many craftsman lovers out there. You can always go lower on price but not higher..

Lawn Addict
Threads
Winterizing for the Kawasaki, using 100% real gas is best. If you run it till empty, there will still be some gas left in carb bowl.
I park my stuff inside, but never drain them, I add a dose of Seafoam to the 100% gas & run engine to get it in & thru the carb.

But be mindful that engine will need an EARLY 8 hour oil change. To get the "break-in" oil out. That's important.

Read & re-read yer Operators Manual, much to learn on new machines. Ask me how I know.. lol

I hook mine up to a Battery MINDer. 1 week on & 1 week off thru the winter. But we all have our own ways.

Don't be shy about checking the oil before each use.. & Enjoy. Sounds like a nice machine.