New Leftover 2020 Hustler SD 48" Mower

mzdrati

Threads
Hi. I have been shopping for a new mower for the last few years (I know that may sound ridiculous). I own a home in suburban NJ with 2/3 acre (maybe a little more) of mostly flat land that I have been cutting with a Craftsman DYT4000 lawn tractor that I found not running (free) on the curb 12 years ago. I got it running, and it has run reliably ever since. Over the past few summers, the engine blows smoke whenever the PTO is engaged, or when starting up (more noticeable when warm). I love this mower, and I have maintained it to the best of my ability (I never get it wet, I never cut wet grass, I clean it after every use, change the oil (and keep it topped up since I know it is burning oil), change spark plug each season, replaced the belts, blades, spindles and pulleys a few seasons ago... it owes me nothing- but I know it's on its way out, and I do not think I should put money into it to keep it running. I have been looking for a good, long-term ZTR (preferably used with low hours) at dealerships, and on CL, Facebook Marketplace and eBay. Everything I find had a few hundred hours on it (or unknown hours) and there is a certain luxury to buying new if there's a good dealer in my area that will support what they sell.

In an attempt to avoid panic-buying a mower mid season should my trusty DYT4000 finally fail, I have become accustomed to looking in the off-season (which is November through February here in NJ) for any deals, and I visited a Hustler dealer yesterday who are offering me a new Hustler Raptor SD 48" that they have left over from last year (2020). If I understand correctly- Hustler no longer offers a Hustler SD (replaced with the XD?) but the Hustler SD 48" fits in my shed (which has a 51" opening)- and may be overkill for such a small property- I am looking to buy something that will easily last another 10+ years, and will be worth maintaining (and not just throwing away like so many consumer products these days). They are offering it to me for $3700 (plus tax). I was hoping to talk them down a little. Anyone have an opinion on whether this is a fair deal? The list price is supposedly $4400 (but I'm seeing list prices of $3800 online (although this mower is no longer available for purchase or ordering from these sources)).

I appreciate your comments and opinions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing to help you decide but the symptoms you describe are consistent with a blown head gasket
Not a difficult nor expensive fix if caught reasonably early before the hot gasses undercut the head or block.

mzdrati

Threads
Thanks so much for taking the time to chime in. It's likely that my DYT4000 did more work than the designers thought was possible. It's been an incredible machine, but if I were to even think about addressing the head gasket- the unserviceable trans in probably not far behind. I use this thing gingerly (I always come to a complete stop before shifting it into gear, I never engage the PTO clutch while the mower is in motion, etc). I'm teaching my 12 year-old how to cut the lawn, and I will not let him use this tractor because I think he'll break it in 5 minutes (and it wouldn't be his fault- I feel like it's that close in many ways- but then again- I've said that for the last few seasons). He uses my HR21 Honda push mower. Since the DYT4000 still runs and cuts, I may put it on CL for $100 and see if there are any takers. I'd give it to my neighbor, but I don't want to be asked to fix or maintain it...

Anyone else have any input on whether the previously-mentioned pricing is appropriate for a 2020 leftover?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Note just because the deck size is 48" doesn't mean the overall width is 48". Mowers are usually a little wider than the deck size so it is likely be a very tight fit if at all. Do a physical width measurement to be sure it will through the opening.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like a really good mower for your use. Hydrogear drive, Kawasaki motor, fab. deck, bigger tires. Price seems a little high for an obsolete model, but sometimes the old version is better than the later, and the dealer factors into that too. I'd buy it.

mzdrati

Threads
Note just because the deck size is 48" doesn't mean the overall width is 48". Mowers are usually a little wider than the deck size so it is likely be a very tight fit if at all. Do a physical width measurement to be sure it will through the opening.
LOL. If I disclosed how many mowers I looked at (virtually) reading specs and so forth- you'd think I was completely obsessed with the concept of buying a mower (which I'm not- I just want to make a smart buying decision). I looked at probably 50 different make and model mowers (new and used, current and older models), and the first thing I note is the overall width (with the chute in the up position). My shed opening is 51.25", and if a mower will not fit in there- I cannot buy it, as I do not have a garage, and I'm not storing anything outside. There are only a few 48" deck size mowers that will fit, and of those, only TWO that I think are of high quality (Kawasaki engine, and serviceable hydros): the Hustler Raptor SD 48" mower, which is 49" wide, and the Scag Liberty Z 48", also 49" wide. Ariens made a 48" ZTR sold under the "Apex" name that would also fit, and got decent reviews, but it used a Kohler 7000 engine, but the better 3100 hydros. It's no longer being sold though, so it's not an option. I could also settle for a 42" mower (which is what my DYT4000 is) but I figure I should get a 46" (which few make) or a 48" if possible. Thanks for thinking about this in-depth enough to point that out, though.

mzdrati

Threads
Seems like a really good mower for your use. Hydrogear drive, Kawasaki motor, fab. deck, bigger tires. Price seems a little high for an obsolete model, but sometimes the old version is better than the later, and the dealer factors into that too. I'd buy it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hustler's current XD 48" mower is a bit wider than the outgoing SD, and will not fit in my shed. If I want this mower, now's perhaps my last chance to get one (new with a warranty). I do plan on taking a close look at it this week, with a serious eye on purchasing it. The dealer that has it owns three locations, and they are moving it from where it is located to the one closer to where I live. Obviously, I want to see it first, and I will try to negotiate the price a bit lower at that time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Star said very few 48" decks will be 50" or less .
The blades have around 1/2" clearance so you are up to 49" INTERNALLY
Then the 2 sides of 1/4" to 3/16" thick steel adds another 1/2"
Most decks have a rubbing strip on the left side so there is another 1/2" and hey we are now up to 50"
Then there is the chute overhang
I am yet to find a deck other than Swisher where the discharge flap , even when folded fully back does not add at least 1 " to the overall width
So you are now at 51" and if you think you are going to drive in & out with only a 1/4 " each side, you are deluding yourself.
My trailer is 46" between the gates and I have to remove about 1/3 of the 42" decks off to get them in.
Not a single 44 " deck will drive in

mzdrati

Threads
I will certainly measure this mower to ensure it will fit. My belief that this mower would be 49" wide with the chute folded up was based upon the specification sheet, as well as a call to Hustler customer service. I am not under the impression that I will be able to drive this into my shed with so little room to spare. Even with my current mower- with the grass collection tube installed it barely makes it in, which is why I always shut it down, clean it, and push it in by hand. I understand that with hydros, there's no "neutral" so to speak, and when I mentioned this to the dealer, they informed me that there are valves to open manually if you want to push the mower into the shed. I've never driven any ZTR, so obviously I will not be good at piloting one especially with precision. You may be right, and this will not work for me- but I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience-based comments.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to push it in then you must do it backwards.
If for no other reason, beside it being easier that way, the caster wheels need to be turned 180 deg before it can be moved in the opposite direction.