New Kobalt 80V Max Line

dougmacm

Threads
Did a quick check on Lowes.com to see if they had any clearance 60-80V cordless snowblowers and ran across this …
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-v...ded/1000486349

I bought into the Greenworks 40V line last Summer and the only tool that has disappointed me so far is the 26272 20" Snowthower … it just does not have enough power to blow anything but light fluffy snow and not too much depth either before tripping out the circuit breaker. We use the snow thrower at my wife's office (just a front & side sidewalk), and she really likes using it but (like me) wishes it had more power.

In this 40V line I've got both pusher and self-propelled 21" mowers, the 16" Chainsaw, the Blower/Vac, 14" Dual Line String Trimmer, 20" Snow Thrower, the 8' Pole Saw, 4 Chargers, (3) 4Ah, (1) 2.5Ah, and (1) 2Ah batteries. The pole saw is the only one without a brushless motor, but it does it's job just fine without it. As I said, everything but the Snow Thrower meets or exceeds my expectations.

Anyway, this Kobalt 80V Max Snowblower is 22" wide (vs. 20"), up to 6" of depth (vs. much less than that), has a metal with rubber paddles impeller similar to a Toro Power Clear (vs. molded plastic impeller assy), HI & LO Impeller Speeds, and comes with a 5Ah battery and charger. Also has a lever for rotating the chute up on the handle similar to the Quick Shoot on my Toro 221QR, which is nice.

I paid $270 for the G-W 26272 w/ 4Ah Battery & Charger … this Kobalt w/ 5Ah Battery & Charger is on sale / clearance for $399 … which is very tempting !!

Also in this new 80V Max line is a Self-Propelled 21" Mower that comes with a 6Ah battery & charger and up to 90 Minutes Run Time.

Pick the Snow Thrower up now and wait for the Mower to go on clearance this fall (vs. $599 now) … hmmmmmm ??

Kind of interesting that Greenworks is making all this impressive stuff for Lowes but I see nothing new in their own Greenworks product line.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
Lowes now has a 10% off Outdoor Power Equipment thru 5/8 when using their CC.

Normally get 5% off with the CC, but that extra 5% would get this clearance 80V Max Snowblower with 5Ah Battery & Charger down to $359.10 before tax.

My local Lowes still has 5 in stock so this is VERY TEMPTING !!

Only other cordless tool I wish I had a more powerful version of is a blower. Can pick up the Kobalt Brushless 400B-06 (tool only, 125MPH/500CFM, new/open box) for $100 shipped on ebay … this makes it even more tempting.
The most current 80V Max Blower puts out 140MPH/630CFM (2580-06 w/ 2.5Ah battery & charger $229.00 or 6380-06 tool only for $144.38) but is too new to be found on ebay yet.

Most powerful GW 40V G-Max axial jet blower puts out 115MPH/430CFM and with 2.0Ah battery & charger is currently $119.20 on amazon. They also show the Elite version (LB-430) of this with the same specs and comes with the 3Ah battery & charger for $219.99.

Anyone interested in the 6080-06 Kobalt 80V Max Self Propelled 21" Lawnmower with 6Ah battery & charger it is on sale at Lowes for $549.00 thru 5/1/19 or $494.10 before tax with the 10% OPE discount … this is a steal.

Doug

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
They also give veterans a 10% discount on anything. That and free shipping if you work it right really pays off.

helomech

Threads
They also give veterans a 10% discount on anything. That and free shipping if you work it right really pays off.

Vet discount can't be stacked with other offers anymore.

videobruce

Threads
Lowes is discontinuing their line of Kobalt power tools. Replacing them with the 'Craftsman' name they they starting selling last year. When I confirmed the disco of Kobalt I asked about warranty coverage for the Kobalt tools (since Kobalt warranty is thru Lowes) and was told replacements (Lowes policy was replacement, not repair as I was told) will be Craftsman if possible.
Sounded as a wise move since Greenworks & Kobalt are made by 'Global Tool Works' (along with Snapper and Stihl among others), why carry two names from the same source?

MowerMike

Threads
Lowes is discontinuing their line of Kobalt power tools. Replacing them with the 'Craftsman' name they they starting selling last year. When I confirmed the disco of Kobalt I asked about warranty coverage for the Kobalt tools (since Kobalt warranty is thru Lowes) and was told replacements (Lowes policy was replacement, not repair as I was told) will be Craftsman if possible.
Sounded as a wise move since Greenworks & Kobalt are made by 'Global Tool Works' (along with Snapper and Stihl among others), why carry two names from the same source?

So, I was just at my local Lowe's store to buy some Wasp & Hornet killer on sale, and spotted a pair of Craftsman 60 volt Li-Ion lawn mowers, one push and one self-propelled. They were being sold alongside several 80 volt Kobalt and 60 volt Greenworks lawn mowers. It will be interesting to see how long the Greenworks mowers will be there.

20190516_194649206_iOS.jpg

videobruce

Threads
The store I went to, their left over Kobalt models were all the way down at the end of the 'mower row'. The new Craftsman cordless models (w/a 90 return instead of just 30 days) were the the 1st after the anti-environment, outdated gas polluters.
They did have a Kobalt & Greenworks out on the floor up front where one can actually 'see' (and touch) them. The Greenworks model I tried (and returned in favor of Ryobi), had a deal for a free 60v 2ah battery pack, both battery packs date were approaching TWO years old. I see why they wanted to get rid of the spare packs. :rolleyes:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The store I went to, their left over Kobalt models were all the way down at the end of the 'mower row'. The new Craftsman cordless models (w/a 90 return instead of just 30 days) were the the 1st after the anti-environment, outdated gas polluters.
They did have a Kobalt & Greenworks out on the floor up front where one can actually 'see' (and touch) them. The Greenworks model I tried (and returned in favor of Ryobi), had a deal for a free 60v 2ah battery pack, both battery packs date were approaching TWO years old. I see why they wanted to get rid of the spare packs. :rolleyes:

I just can't see spending $500+ on a mower with a potentially short life span. I've had tool Li-ion tool packs that went south in three years and no warranty. With these mower batteries sitting for 5 or 6 months a year I wonder how long they will perform? And sure expensive to replace. I suppose it's like battery autos, solar, etc. You have to just really want it? I suppose at some point the small gas mowers will go the way of two strokes.

MowerMike

Threads
I just can't see spending $500+ on a mower with a potentially short life span. I've had tool Li-ion tool packs that went south in three years and no warranty. With these mower batteries sitting for 5 or 6 months a year I wonder how long they will perform? And sure expensive to replace. I suppose it's like battery autos, solar, etc. You have to just really want it? I suppose at some point the small gas mowers will go the way of two strokes.

Unused lithium-ion batteries have a very long shelf life, provided they are not stored at extreme temperatures. Have you noticed how the expiration dates on small lithium-ion batteries can be as much as 10 years beyond the manufacturing date ? I’ve purchased old stock lithium-ion tool batteries with date codes beyond 5 years old, and still gotten many years of service out of them. The service life span of lithium-ion batteries is determined more by production quality than anything else. Battery cells manufactured in China are more likely to have a short service life than those manufactured in Korea (LG) or Japan (Sony).

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
original batteries I got with my GW twin force are still working - 6+ years old. I make no effort to store them at 40% charge (or w'ever the recomm. is) , nor do they get a better environment than an unheated garage for the winter. I never haul a container to the gas station or change any oil or mix any 2 stroke fuel. My wife can easily use the twin force (plastic deck - it is showing its age a little) - I usually use my newer 21".

and every spring I hear from multiple guys at work "trimmer or hedge clipper or pole saw or blower or mower or .... wouldn't start"

In the spring, I put the battery in, push the button and go. Even without any 'tree hugger' concerns, the tools are adequate replacements for most urban/suburban households.

oh yeah, they are a little quieter too.