New Kobalt 80V Max Line

videobruce

Threads
I just can't see spending $500+ on a mower with a potentially short life span. I've had tool Li-ion tool packs that went south in three years and no warranty. With these mower batteries sitting for 5 or 6 months a year I wonder how long they will perform? I suppose at some point the small gas mowers will go the way of two strokes.
Then I guess the $360 I spent 22 years ago on my B&D cordless mower (made in Canada at the time) was a waste of money? :rolleyes:
It's well known (to the informed) that the proper storage charge level should be 30-40%. What isn't clear is just how long a period of time is considered "storage". I have read as short as a couple of weeks, but I can't really consider 2 or 3 weeks a storage situation. Six months is another matter.

If it wasn't for the greedy petroleum industry in this country with their polluting devices, anti-environmental dirty gas engines would, or should of been gone decade ago. :mad:

MowerMike

Threads
Then I guess the $360 I spent 22 years ago on my B&D cordless mower (made in Canada at the time) was a waste of money? :rolleyes:
It's well known (to the informed) that the proper storage charge level should be 30-40%. What isn't clear is just how long a period of time is considered "storage". I have read as short as a couple of weeks, but I can't really consider 2 or 3 weeks a storage situation. Six months is another matter

So, are you saying that the battery in your old B&D cordless mower lasted 22 years ? :laughing: In any case, that would have been an SLA battery, which is a totally different animal from an Li-Ion battery. Anyway, sometimes Li-Ion batteries are just plain duds, especially those made with Chinese cells. Whether or not Li-Ion batteries will last longer in long term storage if kept only partially charged I couldn't say, but I do know that my eight year old Bosch Tool batteries that were NOT made in China and sit idle for months at a time are still holding a full charge.

MowerMike

Threads
...and every spring I hear from multiple guys at work "trimmer or hedge clipper or pole saw or blower or mower or .... wouldn't start"

That's probably because they used crappy pump gas with ethanol, and didn't properly flush out their tools before putting them up for winter. I've used nothing but canned ethanol-free premixed 2-stroke fuel (Trufuel) in all my gas powered 2-stroke OPE, and never had any problems with any of them. As to four stroke engines, the gas needs to be treated with some sort of ethanol shield, and the fuel tanks and carburetor float bowls should be drained before storage.

videobruce

Threads
So, are you saying that the battery in your old B&D cordless mower lasted 22 years ?
I stated nothing like that only that the mower is 22 years old. Best to re-read the post.
They are gel cells (yes, sealed lead acid the same type many alarm systems still use). If you look around there appears to still be other models available that still use them.

MowerMike

Threads
I stated nothing like that only that the mower is 22 years old. Best to re-read the post.
They are gel cells (yes, sealed lead acid the same type many alarm systems still use). If you look around there appears to still be other models available that still use them.

Well, you were responding to a post complaining about the short life of expensive Li-Ion batteries, so the mere fact that the mower was 22 years old was irrelevant. Any SLA battery lawn mowers that are still available will be old stock, because virtually all manufacturers have discontinued them in favor of models that use Li-Ion batteries. But if you are interested, I have an old 90+ pound SLA battery push lawn mower that I'll gladly sell to you.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
That's probably because they used crappy pump gas with ethanol, and didn't properly flush out their tools before putting them up for winter. I've used nothing but canned ethanol-free premixed 2-stroke fuel (Trufuel) in all my gas powered 2-stroke OPE, and never had any problems with any of them. As to four stroke engines, the gas needs to be treated with some sort of ethanol shield, and the fuel tanks and carburetor float bowls should be drained before storage.

oh, no question about that.

Every Spring a friend of mine goes around picking up string trimmers or mowers, etc. set out for trash pick up. They often just need carb cleaning. Sometimes a screen in the gas tank is covered in debris or an intake cracked, or a flywheel key sheared. I guess some folks just get a coupla seasons or 3-4 out of them, and then toss them out with no attempt at repair?

Last edited:

dougmacm

Threads
Lowes is discontinuing their line of Kobalt power tools. Replacing them with the 'Craftsman' name they they starting selling last year. When I confirmed the disco of Kobalt I asked about warranty coverage for the Kobalt tools (since Kobalt warranty is thru Lowes) and was told replacements (Lowes policy was replacement, not repair as I was told) will be Craftsman if possible.
Sounded as a wise move since Greenworks & Kobalt are made by 'Global Tool Works' (along with Snapper and Stihl among others), why carry two names from the same source?

If this is truly the case, then you would think that Greenworks would start marketing their own 80V line better. All the NEW 80V stuff in the past year has been Kobalt and the GW 80V line appears stagnant. My guess is this is probably due to Lowes demanding GW not to try and compete or out do the Kobalt 80V line.

Craftsman does not have an 80V line, so IMO their 60V is not in direct competition.

Maybe Lowes plans on re-labeling their 80V line as Craftsman in the near future … and if they were SMART making the batteries interchangeable as to not piss-off all their existing Kobalt 80V customers, many that have quite possibly invested heavily in the platform.

I've got a lot invested in Ryobi 18V & GW 40V, but by comparison very little compared to what I'd have spent on all 80V tools.

It just does not make any sense to come out with all this NEW 80V Kobalt stuff recently and months later kill off the entire product line for a more historic brand name.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
I'm not sure about Lowe's discontinuing their entire Kobalt OPE lineup. When I recently visited my local Lowe's store, the newest Kobalt 80 volt lawn mowers were prominently displayed in the first position, followed by the 60 volt Craftsman, 60 volt Greenworks and older 80 volt Kobalt mowers. Far more likely, Lowe's will remove the 60 volt Greenworks mowers, just like they removed the original Greenworks Twin Force mower when they introduced their 40 volt Kobalt lineup, which included the same mower with different colored plastic. Kobalt has been a long standing Lowe's store brand, just as Ryobi is associated with Home Depot, and I just can't see them dumping it. The problem with Greenworks is that they are not anchored to any brick and mortar stores, and their customer service is flaky at best.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
are Kobalt and Ryobi parts also as cheap as GW parts? I was shocked at the low price for the axle I had to buy for my 21" mower - the shipping doubled the total cost! under $16 delivered.

MowerMike

Threads
are Kobalt and Ryobi parts also as cheap as GW parts? I was shocked at the low price for the axle I had to buy for my 21" mower - the shipping doubled the total cost! under $16 delivered.

Well, first off, most replacement parts for Kobalt mowers are interchangeable/same as Greenworks, so effectively yes. For example, the replacement blades for my Twin Force were Kobalt branded. Oh, and the replacement circuit board for the Twin Force was Craftsman branded, and much cheaper than the Greenworks branded part even though they shared exactly the same Sun part number. As for Ryobi, you can find parts online from outfits like eReplacementParts for reasonable prices, but won't be able to buy most of them directly from Ryobi.