New Kobalt 80V Max Line

dougmacm

Threads
Now that I've got the 80V Kobalt 22" Snow Thrower w/ 5Ah Battery & charger, I'm thinking of picking up a blower so my battery gets year round usage.

My most powerful cordless blower I have now is a Greenworks 40V 24322 (185 MPH / 340 CFM) and would like a more powerful brushless Jet Blower so getting an 80V Kobalt makes sense.

Can get the old model KHB 40B (125 MPH / 500 CFM) on ebay brand new for $94.99
or
Can get the current model (140 MPH / 630 CFM) at Lowes w/ 2.5Ah Bat & Compact Charger for $198.50 (w/tax) thru 5/29.

$103.51 more sounds like a good deal for a battery & 2nd charger.

Best price I see on e-bay currently for a NEW 2.5 Ah battery is $84.99 and NEW Chargers can be had for $30 (either std. or compact).

So about $10 less getting brand new and more powerful with warranty from Lowes vs. claimed as new or open box from 3 different ebay sellers and likely no warranty.

Don't really "need" a 2nd battery & charger though, so I just got to decide if I want to spend the extra $104.

Doug

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Now that I've got the 80V Kobalt 22" Snow Thrower w/ 5Ah Battery & charger, I'm thinking of picking up a blower so my battery gets year round usage.

My most powerful cordless blower I have now is a Greenworks 40V 24322 (185 MPH / 340 CFM) and would like a more powerful brushless Jet Blower so getting an 80V Kobalt makes sense.

Can get the old model KHB 40B (125 MPH / 500 CFM) on ebay brand new for $94.99
or
Can get the current model (140 MPH / 630 CFM) at Lowes w/ 2.5Ah Bat & Compact Charger for $198.50 (w/tax) thru 5/29.

$103.51 more sounds like a good deal for a battery & 2nd charger.

Best price I see on e-bay currently for a NEW 2.5 Ah battery is $84.99 and NEW Chargers can be had for $30 (either std. or compact).

So about $10 less getting brand new and more powerful with warranty from Lowes vs. claimed as new or open box from 3 different ebay sellers and likely no warranty.

Don't really "need" a 2nd battery & charger though, so I just got to decide if I want to spend the extra $104.

Doug
Wonder how Kobalt handles returned items? like cpooutlets or the Amazon Warehouse type stuff. You might find one that's missing original packaging or missing its manual or w'ever for a reduced price,

dougmacm

Threads
Wonder how Kobalt handles returned items? like cpooutlets or the Amazon Warehouse type stuff. You might find one that's missing original packaging or missing its manual or w'ever for a reduced price,
CPO does not handle Kobalt and I've never seen a similar site that does; also no one on ebay selling Kobalt appears to be a CPO type place either ... have no clue what they do with their returns.

Being the last day of the sale, I did order up a KHB 2580-06 Blower Kit this morning and will pick up at my local Lowe's on my way home tonight.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
Used the 80V Kobalt Blower yesterday after cutting grass & trimming. Have had a lot of rain lately so had a lot of tree crap to blow off side walks & street along with the usual grass from mulching.

Definitely heaver than my other two (Ryobi 18V P2180 Jet Blower & GW 40V 24322 Blower/Vac) but it is well balanced with the 2.5Ah battery and with all it's power and air volume just made the task so much quicker than the other two … as I hoped / assumed it would.

After all the blowing that I did, I still had 1 bar lit on the 2.5Ah battery so somewhere below 35% charge left. This amount of blowing would have easily used up a whole 18V Ryobi or GW 40V 4Ah battery.

Kobalt Specs: 140 MPH / 630 CFM
GW 24322 …. 185 MPH / 340 CFM
Ryobi P2180: 100 MPH / 280 CFM

Definitely glad I bought the "KIT" with the 2.5Ah battery as it is about 3.25 lbs. vs. 6 lbs. for the 5Ah. The 5Ah battery is same cross section, just 1-3/4" longer which kinda screws up the balance. I'll still run it with that battery every few weeks just so it gets used during the other three seasons.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
Now some real world spec comparisons:

KHB-2580-06 Blower Manual states 5.84. lbs w/o battery and Lowes site states 8.9 lbs. w/ battery (same as old model that came with 2.0Ah battery) … and Battery Manual states 5Ah and 6Ah are both 5.50 lbs. so I wanted to see what actual weights are.

So I brought the blower & batteries to work this AM to put on UPS Scale to get actual weights.

5.88 lbs. Blower Alone (manual 5.84 close enough)
3.28 lbs. 2.5Ah Battery (don't remember what manual stated)
5.56 lbs. 5.0Ah Battery (manual 5.50 close enough, but doubt 6Ah is exactly the same as the manual states)

9.16 lbs. Blower w/ 2.5Ah Battery (vs. 8.9 on Lowes site)

This is still pretty decent considering the performance difference vs. my other two blowers mentioned in post above.

Only 3.2% Heavier than GW 24322 (8.8 lbs. w/ 4Ah) but has 85% more CFM.
The GW puts out 32% more MPH, but that is to be expected because it is a small nozzle non-Jet Fan type blower.

And 48% Heavier than Ryobi P2180 (6.18 lbs. w 4Ah) but 40% more MPH and 125% more CFM.

There are 4 GAS blowers sold at Lowes and all can beat the 140 MPH air speed of this 80V Kobalt
(range between 170-205 MPH)
… but none can touch the 630 CFM volume
(range between 441-470 CFM)
I'm sure there are better GAS blowers out there that Lowes does not sell that can beat both air speed AND volume, I just did not search them out.

Only found ONE review of this Kobalt 80V Blower and it could have been treated better ...
https://www.leafblowerguide.com/blowers/kobalt/80v-khb-2580-06/
… said there was a TORO F700 51624 blower that put out more CFM but when I looked it up come to find it is a 12 Amp CORDED blower which is NOT a fair comparison as it is NOT the same category. The TORO is lighter too at 6.6 lbs., but again an unfair comparison since it does not have a battery adding to it's weight. Add the weight of dragging around a 100 ft. 12-3 cord and weight load on the user's arm may be closer or more than the Kobalt's 9.16 lbs.

This looks like one of those sites that only compares specs and does no actual testing, so need to wait for real reviews.

Doug

PatrickLBG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Doug.
I'm in charge of the above-mentioned website.
I do agree with you that comparing cordless and corded blowers was totally unfair. It was due to a bug on our side ,which has now been fixed.
And yes, as you rightfully mentioned, we only compare the specs for the following reasons:
1) It would be absolutely impossible to individually test close to 300 products
2) This prevents us from having a bias for/against any specific product or brand. Many "Review" sites get products for free in exchange for a review that will obviously tend to be more towards the positive side. We do not conduct such practice and every product or brand on our website is treated the exact same way. Yes it could lead to inaccuracies, as we all know that all manufacturers tend to exaggerate their product specs.

Thank you again for this remark as it helps us offering more accurate comparisons.
Don't hesitate to let us know if you have further remarks or suggestions for improvements.

Best,
Patrick