New Intek twin runs on one cylinder

2000J25SP

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a brand new Briggs Intek twin 656cc 20hp. Swapped it onto my 1987 John Deere SX95 rear engine. Finally cranked it up today, and it runs rough and has no power. If I unplug one cylinder it makes no difference whatsoever. Swapped the spark plugs from one cylinder the the other and no difference. I guess I'll do a compression test tomorrow and go from there. Anyone have this problem before? Hopefully I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove both of the kill wires on the coils and see if that makes any difference
'

2000J25SP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove both of the kill wires on the coils and see if that makes any difference
'
I removed the kill wire going to the switch with no change. I can pull the top cover off tomorrow and try that. I suppose they could be grounded out on something.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The till wire between the coils has a pair of diodes in it to prevent the coils interfearing with each other .
Common problem, I do about 10 of them a year .
If I have read what you have posted properly it runs on either cylinder but not on both .

2000J25SP

Forum Newbie
Threads
The till wire between the coils has a pair of diodes in it to prevent the coils interfearing with each other .
Common problem, I do about 10 of
If I have read what you have posted properly it runs on either cylinder but not on both .
O
Common problem, I do about 10 of them a year .
Good to know, thank you I appreciate your help. Sorry I wasn't more clear, the rear cylinder fires, the front cylinder has never fired.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK.
That is a different story
Remove the rocker cover on the dead cylinder
Chances are the pushrod has fallen off so one of the valves is not working.
IF it is a newer engine, buy a pair of rocker cover gaskets and put one in after cleaning all of the silicon off ,

boatmoter

Threads
I bought a brand new Briggs Intek twin 656cc 20hp. Swapped it onto my 1987 John Deere SX95 rear engine. Finally cranked it up today, and it runs rough and has no power. If I unplug one cylinder it makes no difference whatsoever. Swapped the spark plugs from one cylinder the the other and no difference. I guess I'll do a compression test tomorrow and go from there. Anyone have this problem before? Hopefully I'm overlooking something simple. Thanks
hook a volt meter or test light to the + & - of the coil not firing, run engine or just crank over,does it have a reading? if not,turn key on & check the + terminal on the coil to see if it has voltage

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ignore the post from Boatmotor
it is for a Kettering ( battery ) ignition , not a magneto ignition

boatmoter

Threads
Ignore the post from Boatmotor
it is for a Kettering ( battery ) ignition , not a magneto ignition
magneto ignition??? ever heard of a ignition system that's is fired by the ignition control module? power to the coil from ignition and the ignition control module grounds the coil to fire at the proper time