Need Re-wiring Help

sano888

Threads
Well I was sort of suspect when he posted a loom illustration as a circuit diagram but who am I to make comment.

A riding friend & myself have a little side line for British bikes called IP wiring
He is a computer nerd but the IP stands for Idiot Proof
To date it seems to be holding.

It is a terrible enditement of the education system that so many people who have graduated can not follow a dead simple circuit as found on ride on mowers.
I mean it is the stuff a 16 year old apprentence is supposed to pick up in a week.
And the circuits we had to resolve when I was a high school back in the 60's were far more complicated than any mower I have come across .
Can you make a suggestion on what I should be doing differently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sano888

Threads
No
The fuel solenoid wire must go onto the key switch to a terminal that goes to battery voltage when the key is on and no voltage when the key is off .
Went back and reread your post. Looks like I need a new key switch with more than three posts. Correct?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Correct,
You need to have a switched power in & power out plus a magneto & ground which are connected when the engine is off to kill the spark.
You can just pop a std toggle on - off switch and connect the fuel solenoid to it, however she will have to remember to turn it off or she will be spending a fortune on new batteries.
We do not get snappers down here or if we do they were rebadged with a local brand name so I have no idea how Snappers are wired .
However all mowers have the same basic wiring some with slight variations like slipping in a relay.
When you said your small engine repair teacher OKed your wiring we naturally assumed that you knew how the wiring works .

If you had just said what engine you were putting into which model Snapper then the techs with access to Snapper wiring diagrams would have posted one or a link to where you can get one for yourself .

Briggs & Stratton put out a nice book called "The Alternator Repower Guide " , it is a bit dated now days but as previously mentioned mower wiring is simple and does not change that much .
Download a copy and in the mean time find out what model Snapper she has so those with more knowledge that me can jump in .

sano888

Threads
Correct,
You need to have a switched power in & power out plus a magneto & ground which are connected when the engine is off to kill the spark.
You can just pop a std toggle on - off switch and connect the fuel solenoid to it, however she will have to remember to turn it off or she will be spending a fortune on new batteries.
We do not get snappers down here or if we do they were rebadged with a local brand name so I have no idea how Snappers are wired .
However all mowers have the same basic wiring some with slight variations like slipping in a relay.
When you said your small engine repair teacher OKed your wiring we naturally assumed that you knew how the wiring works .

If you had just said what engine you were putting into which model Snapper then the techs with access to Snapper wiring diagrams would have posted one or a link to where you can get one for yourself .

Briggs & Stratton put out a nice book called "The Alternator Repower Guide " , it is a bit dated now days but as previously mentioned mower wiring is simple and does not change that much .
Download a copy and in the mean time find out what model Snapper she has so those with more knowledge that me can jump in .
Thank you for the advice. I do not know the instructor. I just took a chance at calling the local career tech school to see if I could get some help. I'll look into the toggle switch.