Need of a New Lawnmower

bchanfcb1987

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are a number of power supplies that your lawn mower could run off and, by understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each, you will be able to make the best choice for your needs. A manual mower, for example, is hugely environmentally friendly but requires a large amount of exertion in order to get your lawns up to scratch. An electric model is also highly environmentally friendly, but is extremely expensive to purchase. A petrol mower is reasonably cheap and easy to use, but does release carbon emissions.

daisy789

Forum Newbie
Threads
It’s cool that people that use walk-behind mowers. I may have a <deleted link>. I cut 1/4 acre with a push mower, and I like it. Damn good cardio, 6% body fat.

Last edited by a moderator:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are a number of power supplies that your lawn mower could run off and, by understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each, you will be able to make the best choice for your needs. A manual mower, for example, is hugely environmentally friendly but requires a large amount of exertion in order to get your lawns up to scratch. An electric model is also highly environmentally friendly, but is extremely expensive to purchase. A petrol mower is reasonably cheap and easy to use, but does release carbon emissions.

The embedded pollution in making a battery mower is in the order of 10 times that of a petrol powered one.
The pollution that arises from disposal of the old battery is also more than running a petrol mower for around 15 years .
Smoke & mirror marketing is the term that comes to mind.
The only justifiction for using battery powered mowers is if you have a very small yard and are medically unable to use a manual push mower.
A single trip in a jet puts out more pollution and in particular all of the unburned jet-A1 that pours out the back of the engine on both take off & landing is more than a mower in the hands of every passenger will put out in a lifetime .

The only true "low pollution " mower is a corded one that is using renewable generated power from the mains .
All the rest are marketing BS for the feeble minded .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no such thing as zero carbon footprint clean power. if you look at the entire picture all forms of power has its consequences. As bert said, current battery technology is a nightmare for production and recycling. Even if you power something from the grid that power is still generated most likely from fossil fuel. Very small percent of the world's power is from hydro or nuclear.
That photovoltaic array you put on your house to generate "clean power" generated a lot of pollution to manufacture it. We all like to feel good about ourselves saving the planet but in reality we are usually not. I love my battery powered tools because of the convenient, not because they are "green".
Almost all metals can be recycled. Not so much plastics. Recycling is a business not an altruistic goal. If it is not profitable it won't happen. When you throw that old mower in the trash and hopefully it goes to a shredder it will be shredded into small bits and the metal separated out and all the rest called fluff is either burned or sent to a landfill. The Cohen shredder near me takes out tons of baled fluff every week to be landfilled. There is another Cohen operation about 20 miles from me that specifically recycles cars. They won't take an electric car with a battery in it and some they will recycle but won't pay anything for it because the plastic to metal content ratio.

If you want a green mower get a goat.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads