Export thread

Need help with Hart self propelled lawn mower

Deleted member 132723

I have a Hart self propelled battery powered mower that I bought in Jan. 2021. It has a 5 yr limited warranty. Closest place is 2 hours away. How can I repair it myself? The self propell and cruise control quit working last week and I just can't push it without killing myself. I haven't been able to find any repair sites to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Stephanie Molsbee

R

Rivets

Looks like your mower is driven by an electric motor. If that is the case there is not much you can do, unless you have experience troubleshooting electrical systems. I suggest you contact Hart Support at this number. 18007765191. Have your units model and serial number, plus your date of purchase ready.

Deleted member 132723

Looks like your mower is driven by an electric motor. If that is the case there is not much you can do, unless you have experience troubleshooting electrical systems. I suggest you contact Hart Support at this number. 18007765191. Have your units model and serial number, plus your date of purchase ready.
Please read my post as I stated that I contacted Hart and nearest repair is 2 hours away

R

Rivets

Sorry, but I don’t see where you said you contacted Hart. That being said, unless you have or can find someone with electrical troubleshooting experience, there is not much you can do.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Sorry, but I don’t see where you said you contacted Hart. That being said, unless you have or can find someone with electrical troubleshooting experience, there is not much you can do.
This is what can happen when you buy a product from Walmart that shops will not service. Many shops these days will not work on equipment they don’t sell.

B

bertsmobile1

Electric mowers are new to the market
So the ones being sold by mower shops have some sort of service backing
When it comes to big box stores they will all be the cheapest possible ones they can buy in bulk from China
Most will be sold under a shop owned name to discuise that you are paying $ 400 for a mower they bought from China for $ 40 and of course it makes it easy to honour the " won't be undersold" guarantee if no one else can sell that brand even if their one is exactly the same right down to the colour .
IF you want to post some pickies then some one may recognise it but that is a very long bow

In the old days the controls were rheostats or potentiometers so we could work around there being no service parts available with a trip to Tandy .
Now days it is all solid state & microprocessors so no hope at all in circumfrenting the original wiring .

If it is still under warranty take it back
IF it is out of warranty and you get no assistance print a T-Shirt saying these mowers are junk that can not be fixed and stand in front of the shop doors where you bought it .
Note not too close because you are not allowed to prevent people entering the shop.
Ring the local TV / Newspapers , they like to run stories like this .
Usually the store manager will offer you a "special deal " if you promise to go away .

I have done this several times for myself and for friends & customers of a previous business and in every case they either gave them a full refund or replaced the item and that included 4 Jeeps ( load of trash those SUV's )

gotomow

gotomow

Please read my post as I stated that I contacted Hart and nearest repair is 2 hours away
Then take it to the repair shop. Hopefully it's not a "wear" part and will be covered by warranty. Otherwise go to a Toro or Husqvarna dealer and price a good battery mower and decide what you want to do. Pay for a real mower or take your time and $$ to the toy mower repair shop.

Deleted member 132723

Then take it to the repair shop. Hopefully it's not a "wear" part and will be covered by warranty. Otherwise go to a Toro or Husqvarna dealer and price a good battery mower and decide what you want to do. Pay for a real mower or take your time and $$ to the toy mower repair shop.
Wow, such a rude jerk. Hope you find some grace and mercy.

R

Rivets

If the warranty shop is not an option , you’ll have to go to a local repair shop and pay their rate, as you are down to those two choices. You’ve been caught in one of the BIG BOX store sales programs. They sell products at a cheaper price, but offer no services after the sale.

B

bertsmobile1

It is very frustrating when trying to tell people they have made a very poor purchase decision
And buying anything from any store that does not have their own repair facility or will not take it back and get it repaired for you is an extreamly poor decision
Basically what you have is junk that can not be fixed because there is no service contracts for it, no parts suppliers and no service details .
So to put it another way, it is a throw away .
US consumer laws are pathetic and assume that every purchaser is an engineer who can thoroughly evaluate every product before they purchase it .
Down here we have a government mandate 12 month warrany period and the seller has to offer repair service and parts supply
Unfortunately they are also allowed to add handleing & transport charges which will often be more then the replacement cost.

You unfortunately only have the alternatives that we have alread offered

Hopefully this will be a learning process for you .
f you have never heard of a brand then there is a 99% chance it is store branded junk.

Before you buy any consumer durable item go to your computer and search for "Hart ( MODEL NUMBER ) Service manual / Spares Manual"
If you get nothing then do not buy it even if the vendor offers a 100 year warranty , most of which will have more holes in them than a collinder and are worthless .

SO the best outcome you can hope for is the shop will pll another $ 40 mowr off the shelf to replace your faulty one and honour the extended warranty that you got when you bought it .
IF you make any attempt to repair it then the warranty will be null & void .
If you think you are being treated badly by the store then complain to your congressman.
If you are lucky one of the office staff might send the retailer a cranky email .

gotomow

gotomow

Wow, such a rude jerk. Hope you find some grace and mercy.
Name calling is quite rude IMO. I read your posts and all the other ones. Did you happen to read the reviews on Hart mowers? Well I did. Here are some recent reviews:

From Tenia on Walmart.com
"I purchased this yesterday out the door $220.00. Don't waste your money. This lawnmower is like a toy! After fully charging the batteries (this took over 7 hours) the lawnmower wouldn't even start. I put them back on the charger for another hour. I tried again. This time it started up. I was able to mow for about 10 minutes before it started to die. My lawn still isn't mowed. The batteries still haven't fully charged. I tried pulling them off the charger to use them anyway. I got 1 minute of mow time. Forget mowing thick grass it will automatically die on you! This mower is going back to the store tomorrow. I will buy a good old fashioned gas mower instead! Save yourself the headache."

From ckdontes on Walmart.com
"Don't waste your time.
I bought this mower with high expectations but how disappointed I am. The mower worked great the first time i used it. Fast forward to the next week, only my second time using it. With a full battery charge the mower would die on me. I had to take the battery and key out and put them back in numerous times to get it to start. Thankfully I kept it running long enough to finish. So for my third time cutting my lawn I went out this morning to start the mower and not a peep. This piece of junk no longer works. Now I get the joy of loading this toy up and returning it. Save yourself the hassle and don't buy a Walmart brand electric mower. Ive made up my mind to go back to gas."

From Bobbie on Walmart.com
"Not happy
This mower won’t keep running, you have to constantly re-start it. I contacted Hart and was told I need to take it to the service center which is 115 miles from me (although they swear it’s 48), I even bought an extended warranty. I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have access to a Hart “service center “, what a big waste of money."

Deleted member 132723

Name calling is quite rude IMO. I read your posts and all the other ones. Did you happen to read the reviews on Hart mowers? Well I did. Here are some recent reviews:

From Tenia on Walmart.com
"I purchased this yesterday out the door $220.00. Don't waste your money. This lawnmower is like a toy! After fully charging the batteries (this took over 7 hours) the lawnmower wouldn't even start. I put them back on the charger for another hour. I tried again. This time it started up. I was able to mow for about 10 minutes before it started to die. My lawn still isn't mowed. The batteries still haven't fully charged. I tried pulling them off the charger to use them anyway. I got 1 minute of mow time. Forget mowing thick grass it will automatically die on you! This mower is going back to the store tomorrow. I will buy a good old fashioned gas mower instead! Save yourself the headache."

From ckdontes on Walmart.com
"Don't waste your time.
I bought this mower with high expectations but how disappointed I am. The mower worked great the first time i used it. Fast forward to the next week, only my second time using it. With a full battery charge the mower would die on me. I had to take the battery and key out and put them back in numerous times to get it to start. Thankfully I kept it running long enough to finish. So for my third time cutting my lawn I went out this morning to start the mower and not a peep. This piece of junk no longer works. Now I get the joy of loading this toy up and returning it. Save yourself the hassle and don't buy a Walmart brand electric mower. Ive made up my mind to go back to gas."

From Bobbie on Walmart.com
"Not happy
This mower won’t keep running, you have to constantly re-start it. I contacted Hart and was told I need to take it to the service center which is 115 miles from me (although they swear it’s 48), I even bought an extended warranty. I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have access to a Hart “service center “, what a big waste of money."
Well, I could have said a lot worse. Hindsight is 20/20. I purchased it because we were desperate and I was able to pay it out. I didn't and don't have the funds to purchase another one.
Maybe instead of everyone taking a dig at me for purchasing it , if they can't provide help with what is needed , then just don't say anything. Don't waste their time nor mine.
There were/are mixed reviews as with everything else on earth. This forum is one of the worst I have ever come across. I came here looking for help and direction on trying to repair it myself as trying to take it so far away and probably costing me a great deal of money to fix it, isn't an option.
I bought what I could afford. It's been great until almost 2 weeks ago. It's still usable BUT difficult for me to use without the self propell working.

gotomow

gotomow

Well, I could have said a lot worse. Hindsight is 20/20. I purchased it because we were desperate and I was able to pay it out. I didn't and don't have the funds to purchase another one.
Maybe instead of everyone taking a dig at me for purchasing it , if they can't provide help with what is needed , then just don't say anything. Don't waste their time nor mine.
There were/are mixed reviews as with everything else on earth. This forum is one of the worst I have ever come across. I came here looking for help and direction on trying to repair it myself as trying to take it so far away and probably costing me a great deal of money to fix it, isn't an option.
I bought what I could afford. It's been great until almost 2 weeks ago. It's still usable BUT difficult for me to use without the self propell working.
You should have included this rant in your first post. To sum it up:
Let the buyer beware!
You get what you pay for.
You've painted yourself into a corner on this one. Once the paint dries get a good mower. You are on my ignore list now, bye

R

Rivets

Smalsbee, Bert and I have been very courteous and honest in our replies as how to remedy your problem. You came to this forum looking for help and we gave you our best solutions, which you feel are not the best for you. As I’ve stated, you have an electrical problem, which must be diagnosed by someone with experience in this type of service. This type of work is complicated and an amateur can do more damage if they don’t understand the basics of DC electrical circuits. From your replies I don’t think you have that experience so, I recommended you contact a local repair shop for help. We always try to give people our honest recommendations based on years of experience and at times people think we are being rude. You couldn’t be farther from the truth. I’ve even tried locating an electrical schematic for your unit and have struck out. There is not much more that we can do. If the experienced techs on this forum strike out, there is not much the average person will be able to do. We also try to educate the public about equipment, manufacturers, and sellers which prey on people who are stuck in a rough situation and are easily lead into making mistakes. Your comments about us and this forum are misplaced and should be directed toward the units manufacturer or seller. At this point you are trying to make us out as the bad guys, because we cannot help you. We’ve tried to do our best and are sorry if it doesn’t meet your needs, so reread my other posts and I hope you can find a local solution.

M

Muhammad

User deleted per their request. :unsure:

K

kjonxx

Best I could find for a 40v is a belt made by homelite HM-563939001, I assume (after 40 pages) its the part that failed. must be belt driven like most. granted i could be wrong but it looks like the toro style push handles to drive it.

grumpyunk

grumpyunk

OP actually did nothing recommended. Pictures would have been helpful as the Hart is likely not in many sheds, especially persons who would be able to answer their question.
Likely the operator guide had troubleshooting notes and we have no idea if there are or if they were investigaged at all.
OP could have returned to their local store, asked for a refund(good luck) and bought a non-battery machine that likely was more robust(but not by much).
tom

flyhalhl@gmail.co.

flyhalhl@gmail.co.

I have a Hart self propelled battery powered mower that I bought in Jan. 2021. It has a 5 yr limited warranty. Closest place is 2 hours away. How can I repair it myself? The self propell and cruise control quit working last week and I just can't push it without killing myself. I haven't been able to find any repair sites to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Stephanie Molsbee
You should have 2 motors in mower. One for blade and other for driving. You have some sort of flex handle to push to make it move. Wires run from mower to switch in handle somewhere. Lot of flexing in cable at pivot of handle. So anticipate problem in wire there. May be only 3 wires to control blade spin and drive motors. I expect some sort of plug near battery or base of handles. Good luck. Last electric push style I worked on 1 of those wires was bad so ran piece 18 gauge wire up the handle replacing bad wire.

B

bertsmobile1

The original posted get upset & stormed off
Apparently I was too rude

R

Rivets

Me also.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I quit taking in any kind of battery powered equipment for repair. IF you can find parts they are usually more than the customer wants to spend. Parts lists are few and far between. Folks call wanting to know if I can get batteries cheaper than from the manufacturer. I wind up losing money spending too much time trying to find unicorn parts.