Walk behind need help identifying this Toro push mower - model decals gone!

jamnar

Threads
  • / need help identifying this Toro push mower - model decals gone!
I just got this for next to nothing and I'm having trouble figuring out what model this is.
As you can see in the picture, the paint is missing from the deck in all the important places.
I have looked all over this thing top to bottom, front to back and underneath and there are no decals with the model number anywhere.
Neither is there anything stamped anywhere but on the engine itself. So I know exactly what B&S engine I have but not the mower itself.

Here's hoping someone will recognize it on sight and at least point me in the right direction.
Toro.jpg

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine looks like a standard briggs quantum (guessing 5.5 HP) most parts are interchangable on the briggs engines will need to tear into the engine to find numbers. As for the body I am stumped I don't think I've ever owned one of those

jamnar

Threads
Briggs Quantum huh?

Thanks for your input! Yeah, like I said, the numbers for the engine itself are stamped in the cylinder shroud like most Briggs so I won't have trouble with finding parts for that. I didn't know it was a Briggs Quantum so that's news I can use. The mower itself is a head-scratcher though. I figured if I knew the cut then I could at least narrow my search down that much but unlike most pictures I've seen of other Toro mowers it's not printed on the deck. Then when I measured the blade it came out to 20 1/2". It's been years since I even had need for a push mower so I'm not sure if this means it's a 21" or a 20" mower. I'm leaning towards 21" since that seems to be what I keep seeing in the search results when I'm digging for info on it. Toro's site is not much help since they want the model number of the mower before I can see any parts/manuals. I've actually been guessing part numbers to try to find a match but it's slow progress that way. That's why I posted here since maybe I could speed up the process if someone recognized it. Here's another picture of from a different angle.GEDC1655.jpg

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well that throttle cable is not oem... That's very jimmied on there. I have seen that deck before but have never worked on it.
It's probably a 21" mower that's kinda standard. Is it self drive? If its not self drive then parts are easy.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Member Two stroke has one looks to be the same but his has the 2 stroke Suzuki

jamnar

Threads
It's not self drive

It's not self drive. It may be a Frankenmower however. I'll know more when I start to tear it down.

jamnar

Threads
Member Two stroke has one looks to be the same but his has the 2 stroke Suzuki

Considering that it doesn't have the original throttle cable and the cover's missing from the engine, it could be that it's not the original engine and was in fact a 2 stroke before. I'll have to look at some 2 stroke examples to check on that idea.

jamnar

Threads
It was a 2 stroke originally!

After carscw mentioned the 2 stroke (thanks) I started searching for images of 2 stroke Toro mowers. There's a LOT of them! Amazingly though I seem to have found the one I have.

There's some images left over from a sale ad at Herman's Tools in Ontario. http://www.hermanstools.com/listing_images/large_thumbnails/2866.JPG
and http://www.hermanstools.com/listing_images/large_thumbnails/2868.JPG

It was definitely a 2 stroke before and that explains the funky controls on the handle. I also discovered some strangeness to the way the Briggs is bolted to the deck on mine.
I'm guessing the original engine died and someone substituted the Briggs.

Now the problem remaining is that the images I found show a deck that's been repainted. No model numbers visible and since the ad is no longer active the text of the ad is no longer accessible.

Maybe someone recognizes the pictures at Herman's?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well that handle style the 3 angles were used from 81-93ish and the control panel seems to be one that I've seen on 92-93 mowers. So its an early 90's mower if that helps at all. Is it self drive?

jamnar

Threads
Well that handle style the 3 angles were used from 81-93ish and the control panel seems to be one that I've seen on 92-93 mowers. So its an early 90's mower if that helps at all. Is it self drive?

Early 90's, yes that narrows it further still, thanks. No it's not a self drive. I will be looking for evidence of one having been removed when I tear it down next week.