Walk behind need help identifying this Toro push mower - model decals gone!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / need help identifying this Toro push mower - model decals gone!
I am going to say that it was self drive.

I will look out back tomorrow and see if I can get you a model number

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dam transmission numbers go a long way. But at this point in the machine. No self drive, half assed briggs. Going to say this mower is far from being worth anything. It will need a new engine, and if you want self drive new transmission, gears, etc. Best to sell as is and get a new mower

jamnar

Threads
I think I found it!

After digging through close to 100 listings on Toro's site I think I finally found what model I have.
It appears to be a 1990-1992 model 26562. link for 1992 model 26562

The handle control is different and it did in fact come with a Briggs & Stratton. The one I found on Herman's site was apparently self driving which mine is not. I noticed on Toro's site that the 2 stroke versions were universally self driving but the B&S powered ones were a mix of self drive and push.

I'll be downloading the manuals from Toro to see what more I can find out.

jamnar

Threads
Re: It was a 2 stroke originally!

It was definitely a 2 stroke before

Actually it looks like I might have been wrong on this one. See my other post for explanation.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok then missing shroud. Does the throttle cable open the carb all the way. If someone ran that aftermarket throttle control to far open for hopes of more power for to long could have caused damage to the engine. Shrouds are easy to find and parts for that engine are all over.

jamnar

Threads
Well, at this point I'm going to wait until I can compare the manual with what I have and start doing some forensic tinkering on it before I make any final decisions. I do know that even if the motor's trashed I'll just put another one on since I bought it for the cast deck and it matches my rider.

jamnar

Threads
Got it running!

Finally had a chance to tinker with it and boy has this thing been hacked!
The BBC has been completely removed and everything tied or duct taped out of the way. The blade is now bolted to the crankshaft.
The electrical tape and wiring is for the ignition kill switch which had to be added as a result.
The throttle cable was connected directly to the carburetor butterfly. The governor was completely disconnected!
The starter cord was broken but there was enough for me to rethread it on the spool.
I test started it as is and it actually runs fairly well. No scary noises and actually kind of smooth running.
I fabricated a new link and spring to reconnect the governor and now it starts and runs just fine and at a regulated speed.
Mowed some grass with it and it handles load just fine.

I still have some clean-up and repair to do to this thing but I think I did OK for a $30 mower.