Export thread

need help identifying this Toro push mower - model decals gone!

jamnar

jamnar

I just got this for next to nothing and I'm having trouble figuring out what model this is.
As you can see in the picture, the paint is missing from the deck in all the important places.
I have looked all over this thing top to bottom, front to back and underneath and there are no decals with the model number anywhere.
Neither is there anything stamped anywhere but on the engine itself. So I know exactly what B&S engine I have but not the mower itself.

Here's hoping someone will recognize it on sight and at least point me in the right direction.
Toro.jpg

exotion

exotion

The engine looks like a standard briggs quantum (guessing 5.5 HP) most parts are interchangable on the briggs engines will need to tear into the engine to find numbers. As for the body I am stumped I don't think I've ever owned one of those

jamnar

jamnar

Briggs Quantum huh?

Thanks for your input! Yeah, like I said, the numbers for the engine itself are stamped in the cylinder shroud like most Briggs so I won't have trouble with finding parts for that. I didn't know it was a Briggs Quantum so that's news I can use. The mower itself is a head-scratcher though. I figured if I knew the cut then I could at least narrow my search down that much but unlike most pictures I've seen of other Toro mowers it's not printed on the deck. Then when I measured the blade it came out to 20 1/2". It's been years since I even had need for a push mower so I'm not sure if this means it's a 21" or a 20" mower. I'm leaning towards 21" since that seems to be what I keep seeing in the search results when I'm digging for info on it. Toro's site is not much help since they want the model number of the mower before I can see any parts/manuals. I've actually been guessing part numbers to try to find a match but it's slow progress that way. That's why I posted here since maybe I could speed up the process if someone recognized it. Here's another picture of from a different angle.GEDC1655.jpg

exotion

exotion

Well that throttle cable is not oem... That's very jimmied on there. I have seen that deck before but have never worked on it.
It's probably a 21" mower that's kinda standard. Is it self drive? If its not self drive then parts are easy.

Carscw

Carscw

Member Two stroke has one looks to be the same but his has the 2 stroke Suzuki

jamnar

jamnar

It's not self drive

It's not self drive. It may be a Frankenmower however. I'll know more when I start to tear it down.

jamnar

jamnar

Member Two stroke has one looks to be the same but his has the 2 stroke Suzuki

Considering that it doesn't have the original throttle cable and the cover's missing from the engine, it could be that it's not the original engine and was in fact a 2 stroke before. I'll have to look at some 2 stroke examples to check on that idea.

jamnar

jamnar

It was a 2 stroke originally!

After carscw mentioned the 2 stroke (thanks) I started searching for images of 2 stroke Toro mowers. There's a LOT of them! Amazingly though I seem to have found the one I have.

There's some images left over from a sale ad at Herman's Tools in Ontario. http://www.hermanstools.com/listing_images/large_thumbnails/2866.JPG
and http://www.hermanstools.com/listing_images/large_thumbnails/2868.JPG

It was definitely a 2 stroke before and that explains the funky controls on the handle. I also discovered some strangeness to the way the Briggs is bolted to the deck on mine.
I'm guessing the original engine died and someone substituted the Briggs.

Now the problem remaining is that the images I found show a deck that's been repainted. No model numbers visible and since the ad is no longer active the text of the ad is no longer accessible.

Maybe someone recognizes the pictures at Herman's?

exotion

exotion

Well that handle style the 3 angles were used from 81-93ish and the control panel seems to be one that I've seen on 92-93 mowers. So its an early 90's mower if that helps at all. Is it self drive?

jamnar

jamnar

Well that handle style the 3 angles were used from 81-93ish and the control panel seems to be one that I've seen on 92-93 mowers. So its an early 90's mower if that helps at all. Is it self drive?

Early 90's, yes that narrows it further still, thanks. No it's not a self drive. I will be looking for evidence of one having been removed when I tear it down next week.

Carscw

Carscw

I am going to say that it was self drive.

I will look out back tomorrow and see if I can get you a model number

exotion

exotion

Dam transmission numbers go a long way. But at this point in the machine. No self drive, half assed briggs. Going to say this mower is far from being worth anything. It will need a new engine, and if you want self drive new transmission, gears, etc. Best to sell as is and get a new mower

jamnar

jamnar

I think I found it!

After digging through close to 100 listings on Toro's site I think I finally found what model I have.
It appears to be a 1990-1992 model 26562. link for 1992 model 26562

The handle control is different and it did in fact come with a Briggs & Stratton. The one I found on Herman's site was apparently self driving which mine is not. I noticed on Toro's site that the 2 stroke versions were universally self driving but the B&S powered ones were a mix of self drive and push.

I'll be downloading the manuals from Toro to see what more I can find out.

jamnar

jamnar

Re: It was a 2 stroke originally!

It was definitely a 2 stroke before

Actually it looks like I might have been wrong on this one. See my other post for explanation.

exotion

exotion

Ok then missing shroud. Does the throttle cable open the carb all the way. If someone ran that aftermarket throttle control to far open for hopes of more power for to long could have caused damage to the engine. Shrouds are easy to find and parts for that engine are all over.

jamnar

jamnar

Well, at this point I'm going to wait until I can compare the manual with what I have and start doing some forensic tinkering on it before I make any final decisions. I do know that even if the motor's trashed I'll just put another one on since I bought it for the cast deck and it matches my rider.

jamnar

jamnar

Got it running!

Finally had a chance to tinker with it and boy has this thing been hacked!
The BBC has been completely removed and everything tied or duct taped out of the way. The blade is now bolted to the crankshaft.
The electrical tape and wiring is for the ignition kill switch which had to be added as a result.
The throttle cable was connected directly to the carburetor butterfly. The governor was completely disconnected!
The starter cord was broken but there was enough for me to rethread it on the spool.
I test started it as is and it actually runs fairly well. No scary noises and actually kind of smooth running.
I fabricated a new link and spring to reconnect the governor and now it starts and runs just fine and at a regulated speed.
Mowed some grass with it and it handles load just fine.

I still have some clean-up and repair to do to this thing but I think I did OK for a $30 mower.