Need expertise!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fish I think he is referring to the fact that I determined that he had installed the MDI ignition system which is an electronic spark advance module system that was originally fitted with the CDI fixed timing ignition system, and the two systems are directly not compatible. So by changing the ignition system he created the misfire issue that the dealer overlooked.

Mower King

Threads
Fish I think he is referring to the fact that I determined that he had installed the MDI ignition system which is an electronic spark advance module system that was originally fitted with the CDI fixed timing ignition system, and the two systems are directly not compatible. So by changing the ignition system he created the misfire issue that the dealer overlooked.
I tried this a few months ago just for s**ts & grins and yes, the engine did start up ok but, definitely did not run right.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just wondering, how it was determined with scant info. You didn't respond after he finally put up the spec. number, and he offered no info on what was done prior. And how did he know what the answer was, and also know that you were correct?
Are we missing something here?

Just curious.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have changed a few kohlers from DASI to MDI coils after the module or coil(s) failed. A couple were direct replacement and one needed the kit with the flywheel since it was not compatible with MDI coils. As far as i can tell the MDI coils are just dumb coils like most other ignition coils. I am wondering. Did he install MDI coils on and engine that had the incompatible DASI/ASAMflywheel? The regular kohler ignition coils have a different bolt spacing from the MDI and DASI/ASAM coils. They are not interchangeable. If the engine came stock with CDI coils then MDI coils will not fit. I wonder what ignition coils he replaced since his link was to an MDI coil kit? Acording to something i read from Kohler the MDI coil conversion does not have variable timing.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, It would be more helpful to everyone if some of the details are put into this.
I have been out of the biz for several years, so I am not up to date on the more recent problems that Kohler has introduced to the world.
Which is why I always ask for model/spec numbers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have changed a few kohlers from DASI to MDI coils after the module or coil(s) failed. A couple were direct replacement and one needed the kit with the flywheel since it was not compatible with MDI coils. As far as i can tell the MDI coils are just dumb coils like most other ignition coils. I am wondering. Did he install MDI coils on and engine that had the incompatible DASI/ASAMflywheel? The regular kohler ignition coils have a different bolt spacing from the MDI and DASI/ASAM coils. They are not interchangeable. If the engine came stock with CDI coils then MDI coils will not fit. I wonder what ignition coils he replaced since his link was to an MDI coil kit? Acording to something i read from Kohler the MDI coil conversion does not have variable timing.
Kohler refers to the MDI as adjustable timing in the service manual. He installed the MDI adjustable timing modules on an engine that had the CDI fixed timing modules originally. I am not sure about the bolt spacing but years ago Kohler had an 18-20-22 engine range that all used the same block. The difference between the 20 and the 22 was the use of smart spark. That system would now be replaced with an MDI system. whereas the 18-20 hp of that same block used CDI modules. So I am sure there are MDI modules that will bolt up in place of the CDI modules.

The new 7000 series is the replacement for the Courage twin and would have the CDI modules and doesn't appear to use the MDI on any of the KT engines. The 7000 series engine would of never went through the DSAM/ASAM to DSAI to MDI conversion

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, It would be more helpful to everyone if some of the details are put into this.
I have been out of the biz for several years, so I am not up to date on the more recent problems that Kohler has introduced to the world.
Which is why I always ask for model/spec numbers.
Fish if you look back I asked for model and spec three times before getting an answer.

From further research the OP replaced the part number 32 584 06-s CDI ignition modules with the 32 707 01-s MDI kit. Which created the hot running misfiring effect because the timing of the spark was incorrect, Then the mower sat at the repair shop for 3 months which they tried to diagnose most likely without the knowledge of the ignition module change.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, he finally gave it. Then the very next post he called you an expert.

Hence my "?????".....

What are we missing? Was there discussion in private messages? Did he have any invoice on the work that was done prior? Did he contact the shop and they confirmed it.???

Just curious as to what we are missing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fish there was nothing done by private message on my part. I don't know how he confirmed it. Maybe he contacted the shop or when I mentioned about the incorrect modules he had a Ohh moment.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kohler refers to the MDI as adjustable timing in the service manual. He installed the MDI adjustable timing modules on an engine that had the CDI fixed timing modules originally. I am not sure about the bolt spacing but years ago Kohler had an 18-20-22 engine range that all used the same block. The difference between the 20 and the 22 was the use of smart spark. That system would now be replaced with an MDI system. whereas the 18-20 hp of that same block used CDI modules. So I am sure there are MDI modules that will bolt up in place of the CDI modules.

The new 7000 series is the replacement for the Courage twin and would have the CDI modules and doesn't appear to use the MDI on any of the KT engines. The 7000 series engine would of never went through the DSAM/ASAM to DSAI to MDI conversion
I wonder if the 7000 series uses bolt spacing for the stock CDI coils that is the same as the MDI coils. Keeping up with all the Kohler ignitions is a chore. I have several different kohler coils and looks like not all of them.