Need expertise!

Wyokid

Threads
I need some help. I have a Kohler 24hp 7000 series on a Craftsman zero turn. This spring I took it for the maiden voyage mowing and ran it out of gas. I refueled it and it was missing on one cylinder. After some research I did a coil upgrade that didn't help. I took it to the local small engine repair shop where it has been for 3 MONTHS. They called to report that they changed the carb and the muffler and it is still missing and running hot. They recommended a new motor for $1,800. It has 70 hours and has been flawless and gently used. What are they missing?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Explain a little more about this coil upgrade. What exactly did you do and what where the parts numbers involved as well as the actual model and spec of the engine for further reference.

Mower King

Threads
I need some help. I have a Kohler 24hp 7000 series on a Craftsman zero turn. This spring I took it for the maiden voyage mowing and ran it out of gas. I refueled it and it was missing on one cylinder. After some research I did a coil upgrade that didn't help. I took it to the local small engine repair shop where it has been for 3 MONTHS. They called to report that they changed the carb and the muffler and it is still missing and running hot. They recommended a new motor for $1,800. It has 70 hours and has been flawless and gently used. What are they missing?
They have missed something! They took a heck of a swing to get nowhere....that's crazy! I agree, find another shop!

Wyokid

Threads
Explain a little more about this coil upgrade. What exactly did you do and what where the parts numbers involved as well as the actual model and spec of the engine for further reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-144025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-144025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 19

Wyokid

Threads
Here is the coil. The shop did a spark test which showed the coils were good

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Am I missing something? How does these coils constitute an "upgrade." And why would you replace the coils if both were firing?

Flywheel key may be cracked.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Am I missing something? How does these coils constitute an "upgrade." And why would you replace the coils if both were firing?

Flywheel key may be cracked.
Many kohler engines came with ASAM or DSAM type DASI ignition systems that failed all the time. The upgrade is to install MDI coils which are just plain old electronic coils.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the muffler running hot or the engine? How did they tell the engine was hot? Does it have a temp gauge?

slomo