Need a belt

MarineScott

Threads
The last two years I have replaced my mower deck belt, and this is year 3. I have had this lawn tractor for about 9 years with the original belt lasting about 6 years. I'm tired buying cheaply made belts. What am I to look for in a quality belt?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I got a 42" waist and have a few good old ones where would you like me to send them to ?:laughing:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The last two years I have replaced my mower deck belt, and this is year 3. I have had this lawn tractor for about 9 years with the original belt lasting about 6 years. I'm tired buying cheaply made belts. What am I to look for in a quality belt?

It might not be as you say cheap belts.
Look at the pulleys. They could be worn and the belt sits to deep in them. They could be pitted. Make sure all pulleys lineup. And don't have any wobble.
The belt could also be rubbing on something.
Deck belts should last a homeowner around 5 years.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How about the model number of the mower so we can see what belt you are having problems with. I have a customer with an older craftsman mower that we had been fighting the deck drive belt on for years. turned out that the part diagram had the wrong part number on it. It was calling for a 1/2 inch wide belt which worked, but actually needed the 5/8 width belt to be correct.

the 1/2 inch width belt would operate about a season and then bottom out in the pulleys and start slipping.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got a customer with a craftsman DLT 2000 belt had me stumped till he pulled out the sales receipt .
He bought it second hand with "new spindles & pulleys". Pulleys were smaller ones which are about $ 4.00 cheaper.
Thus the blades were spinning too fast, the deck was forever cracking , it was continually tossing rocks & other debris over the neighbours fence and none of the quoted belt sizes fitted properly.

MarineScott

Threads
How about the model number of the mower so we can see what belt you are having problems with. I have a customer with an older craftsman mower that we had been fighting the deck drive belt on for years. turned out that the part diagram had the wrong part number on it. It was calling for a 1/2 inch wide belt which worked, but actually needed the 5/8 width belt to be correct.

the 1/2 inch width belt would operate about a season and then bottom out in the pulleys and start slipping.

My lawn tractor is a LT2000 Craftsman 20hp intek with a 42" deck, belt part # 144959. Part # is on the hood sticker. Model # 917287080

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like Bert said, look at the pulleys and see if the bottom of the groove is shiny like something has been buffing it. Also if you are not using OEM belts, give that a try, because generic belts won't be the exact length, width, or angle of cut to fit the pulleys properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That part number equates to an A 95 & 3/8".
Not a belt you will get anywhere else as it is made exclusively for AYP who made your mower.