My troy built pony only has two gear speeds. Why?

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
I recently bought a troy built pony riding lawn mower used. It is pretty old but well kept up.The guy I bought it from changed two belts just before I bought it from him.when I put it in granny low it drives fine. When I put it in 2nd threw the highest gear It's speed is always the same. Which I think it is stuck in top gear. I can not get it to shift into 2nd 3rd 4th an so on. I mean it shifts into those gears but they all go the same speed."fast" why am I not able to go any other speed when I shift into these other gears.
I changed the upper and lower transmission belts because I noticed a good bit of slack in the upper one. The little thing that slides up and down on the pulley moved freely. It is not stuck.the lawn mower slowed down a good bit. But I still only have one gear.only one speed even though I switch gears. I stay the same speed. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
Thank you.
Before this gets very confusing please have a look under the mower.
There are 2 variations on the drive system
One is as per the diagram already posted,
The other does not have the 2 small pulleys on the lower drive belt.
They both work the same way, they just use a different mechanism to change the tension of the lower drive belt.
This deck has a total of four pillows on the deck itself.i changed both transmission belts and the middle part on the pulley underneath the seat moved freely without being stuck. But I still only have one gear. I have the same speed even though i change gears. I'm very sorry if i aggravate you. But I am not mechanically inclined. So I may say things in a different way. Again I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow when it comes to understanding what you are explaining to me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There should never be any slack on the smaller belt. (variable to transaxle) If there is slack it might be the tensioner pulley arm spring is missing. Now the longer (engine to variable) is to loose when the clutch pedal is depressed fully.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This deck has a total of four pillows on the deck itself.i changed both transmission belts and the middle part on the pulley underneath the seat moved freely without being stuck. But I still only have one gear. I have the same speed even though i change gears. I'm very sorry if i aggravate you. But I am not mechanically inclined. So I may say things in a different way. Again I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow when it comes to understanding what you are explaining to me.
Nobody with a genuine problem aggravates us, we are here to help and to learn ( well I am in any case ) and helping you helps me.
However I am confused by your answer what we need to be sure of is the lower belt , the one that goes from the engine to the double pulley under the seat.
Is it like the one in the drawing in reply # 10 or does it just go direct from the engine to the double pulley under the seat with nothing in between ?
We need to know ( well I do at least ) because the Troy-Bilt web site shows both systems when I search with your model & serial number .
Giving you the correct information is less confusing for you & any one else who might end up reading this .
There is no time pressure for us, it is your mower so at your own merry pace is fine with every one ,
No one here charges by the hour for advice :)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well since no one has actually look-up this 2012 mower here is the ground drive IPL image.
13wn77ks11 DRV.JPG
Now item 52 attaches to 48 and to the rear frame. Usually the left corner area.
Item 24 connects to 48 and the right hand side frame.

Last edited:

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
I have fixed the problem thank you all so very much

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well done & thanks for the final post.
So for future refference & to hep others who search the archives looking for answers what was the fnal fix ?

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
Well done & thanks for the final post.
So for future refference & to hep others who search the archives looking for answers what was the fnal fix ?
It was too small of a belt on the bottom of the two drive belts. And that's why it was going so fast.. but now I have another problem I'm dealing with. If you have any knowledge about the motor I would love to give you the run down and see what you think. If It's not to much trouble for you. I'd greatly appreciate it...

Last edited:

Mr.Quebedeaux

Threads
It was too small of a belt on the bottom of the two drive belts. And that's why it was going so fast

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you .
It is always prudent to check the belt lengths before fitting.
We have all been caught out like this one time or another and MTD have a dozen or more sizes that are very close so "Kits" often have a wrong size belt.
Gates have a web site hat lists the lengths of just about every USA mower belt by manufacturers part number . Saved my bacon many times .