My troy built pony only has two gear speeds. Why?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I finally had to buy a v-belt measuring tool because of the belt problems I was having and the vendor keep saying I was measuring the belt wrong; therefore they couldn't be short. Well the aftermarkets I was getting were short and causing a lot problems. That supplier finally merge with another company and I was promised that belt length issues I was having was resolved. Guess what it isn't resolved as my very belt order the belt came in one inch shorter than the specs. Those dang Indians (India) must have a broken tape measure and refuse to get a new one.

Now Stens says the tool is no good but they are selling the same tool for the purpose of measuring the belt.

BTW even Gates will send out belts that are the wrong size even through the packaging say it is a certain size. I one belt here that was supposedly 1/2 x 88 when in fact it is 1/2 x 86. Try getting that belt on.

Anyway currently I am only installing OEM belt due to all the problems I had with belt the last ten years. Costs more but at least I not wasting my time fighting to get the belts replaced.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Europeans measure belts on the effective diameter which is the inside .
Americans measure on the outside .
Thus a USA A 88 is an A 86 just about everywhere else in the world apart from the greater contenental America .
B size is +/- 3" so that probably explains your funny belt sizes/.
Gates supply belts wholesale in ties generally in, 10, 25, 50 or 100 lots and the distributor puts the label & size on the belt , including the sleeve .
I know this much form a previous job with an engineering supply company, we used to get pallets of belts then label them with about a dozen different brands , different sleeves then send them off to the wholesalers.
IT is of curse a PIA for me as the Stens catalogue is in USA sizing & the GA catalogue is in Aust sizing & the Jackmax catalogue was metric.
That said I am yet to find the Gates catalogue wrong where as the supposed OEM sizes are oft rounded up or down to the nearest 1/2".
Then there is the stupidity of making a 196.25" belt as if 1/4" will make any difference on a deck that has near 6" of travel on the tensioning idler and the tension spring is on an adjustable anchor point.
This is what happens when the calculator generation gets control of design so you find an app dial in your numbers then accept what ever size that it spits out.
Stupid . Causes dealers to keep a bigger inventory and the same at the factory and makes the belts a lot more expensive which is really baffeling when we see the horrid things they do to save costs.
Prime point Toro make both Exmark & Z Master in 48" decks ,
Toro belt 115-7407 B 174.75" $ 180
Exmark belt 109-8070 B 175.75" $ 139
Guess what gets fitted to all my customers Z Masters.
No apprecilble difference in belt life, 2-3 years
One of the reasons why BSA became the largest makers of motorcycles on the planet was no engineer could specify a new part when an existing part could be made or altered to fit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was too small of a belt on the bottom of the two drive belts. And that's why it was going so fast.. but now I have another problem I'm dealing with. If you have any knowledge about the motor I would love to give you the run down and see what you think. If It's not to much trouble for you. I'd greatly appreciate it...

Please start a new thread either in the engine section or the brand section.'IT gets very confusing when we get multiple problems that are not related in the same thread.
The good people on this site are always willing to help where they can.