My Scag Liberty getting prepped to sleep till spring.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / My Scag Liberty getting prepped to sleep till spring.
After last mow I did the oil & filter change.
Then days later put my Z up on the wheel dollys I park on, so I can slide it out when I want to tinker on it.

Today removed the blades & soaked them in a drain pan with water. 1/2 hour later I wiped the blades clean. No fuss no muss, the water does the work of softening the grass build up. Cleaned the underside of the deck... When I get back to it I'll put on the spare blades. Then later sharpen the OE blades & balance.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next gotta pull the blower housing, & make sure all is clean & serene. Only 31.5 hours on.

Also put extra air in tires, due to them sitting in place till spring. And next get the the spare blades on.. And battery minder.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spare blades installed today, & a good coat of wax on the deck only for now.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since the oil & filter change, my Z has been sitting & I just noticed a wet oil weep on the cheap poly-plastic (sic) oil drain nipple end.Kaw cheap Oil drain.jpgAs pictured.. Always hated that cheap drain, had same on my former Toro w/same Kaw engine as well. So for now I pushed a silicone end cap on the nipple.

Then ordered the OE 16" Flex drain line from Kawasaki. With steel braided internal line, with Brass ends. Should have came this way, but whatever. Kaw OE Drain hose (2).jpgKaw Oil drain hose.jpg

Always hated the poly-plastic drain, fearing I'd break it or something. If the cap I put on does not leak when running, so far hasn't in testing. I may leave it till next oil change, since I just did oil change for end of season.

I guess I must'a tightened the 10mm drain bolt a bit too snug, causing the weep. Arrrgh. Anyhow the long hose will be much easier to do oil changes.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You've got to control yourself buddy.... don't go all gorilla strength tightening those fasteners with your bear like muscles.....🤪😜😜

Lawn Addict
Threads
You've got to control yourself buddy.
Yea Scrub, I can be my own worst enemy at times. Costing me money & time.. I have wanted to upgrade the drain since I bought the former Toro back in 2014. So my Scag will get the upgrade sooner or later, the new OE hose is here.

hand tighten.jpg Easy does it on tightening.... LOL

Ferd Turgeson

Threads
Soaking mower blades in water to soften the grass build up - I swear. Just plain water? Dry grinding the grass build up off mower blades before I sharpen ranks right up there with a sharp stick in the eye with me. Pray tell.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Soaking mower blades in water to soften the grass build up - I swear. Just plain water?
Try it, ya might like it.. No breathing all the grass particulates either from grinding them off..My blades fit in one of my oil drain pans, so only 1 gal of water covers all 3 of them together..

No more blade cleaning with grinder for me.

Ferd Turgeson

Threads
You can bet I will try it out. Maybe a splash or two of purple power or simple green too for good measure. Great Handy hint.

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can bet I will try it out
Cool, I thought of Purple stuff as well, but the water is all it needs for me anyhow.. So that was saved for other jobs.

I even clean up my outside mower decks with spray bottle of water & 2 drops of Dawn dish soap.. Wipe clean & then a good coat of wax ...