My Scag Liberty getting prepped to sleep till spring.

Ferd Turgeson

Threads
  • / My Scag Liberty getting prepped to sleep till spring.
Dawn is good stuff - I use a lot of it. I'll give that a swirl too. The degreasers can dull the paint if left on too long. Please don't ask how I know that.

RayMcD

Threads
Since the oil & filter change, my Z has been sitting & I just noticed a wet oil weep on the cheap poly-plastic (sic) oil drain nipple end.View attachment 63342As pictured.. Always hated that cheap drain, had same on my former Toro w/same Kaw engine as well. So for now I pushed a silicone end cap on the nipple.

Then ordered the OE 16" Flex drain line from Kawasaki. With steel braided internal line, with Brass ends. Should have came this way, but whatever. View attachment 63343View attachment 63344

Always hated the poly-plastic drain, fearing I'd break it or something. If the cap I put on does not leak when running, so far hasn't in testing. I may leave it till next oil change, since I just did oil change for end of season.

I guess I must'a tightened the 10mm drain bolt a bit too snug, causing the weep. Arrrgh. Anyhow the long hose will be much easier to do oil changes.
Maybe this is of interest, here's a metal version, https://www.mfgsupply.com/23-12112.html Cheers, Ray

Lawn Addict
Threads
That still has 1 tiny 0-ring in the end. (like poly-plastic drain ) & to install it, you need to loosen engine bolts & raise it to rotate drain with hose barb..
I'll pass, the hose is what I prefer.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dawn is good stuff - I use a lot of it. I'll give that a swirl too. The degreasers can dull the paint if left on too long. Please don't ask how I know that.
Dawn is great degreasing helper, but if washing other stuff, Joy is great, I use that when washing the house, with 1/4 of cheap bleach. ..

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine is out of hibernation & have done 2 mows so far.

Lawn Addict
Threads
And since late October of '23 it is back in hibernation. We have been a mean drought, so grass went dormant very early.. So I'm at only 50.0 hours. Cleaned the Hydros thoroughly / serviced them & purged, & tested it for 1/2 hour, next day check oil levels. .
And did the spark plugs check up, air filters, grease all. Check fasteners & bolts etc for tightness. Remove blower housing & check engine for cleanness.

I just do a lil here & there as time permits. Today run engine to heat up the oil & drain it. Then put my mower up on the wheel dollys, & when I get back at it, will add that oil drain hose(finally), & fill with fresh oil & filter.... Still gotta drop the blades, spray the underside of deck. Then throw on the cleaned /sharpened & balanced OE blades. Clean / sharpen & balance the Oregon blades ( I really like them).. And then do a lil cleaning, & everything else I forgot.. LOL

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You're gonna have the cleanest scag this side of the Mississippi.......or something like that 🤣

Honest Abe

Threads
And since late October of '23 it is back in hibernation. We have been a mean drought, so grass went dormant very early.. So I'm at only 50.0 hours. Cleaned the Hydros thoroughly / serviced them & purged, & tested it for 1/2 hour, next day check oil levels. .
And did the spark plugs check up, air filters, grease all. Check fasteners & bolts etc for tightness. Remove blower housing & check engine for cleanness.

I just do a lil here & there as time permits. Today run engine to heat up the oil & drain it. Then put my mower up on the wheel dollys, & when I get back at it, will add that oil drain hose(finally), & fill with fresh oil & filter.... Still gotta drop the blades, spray the underside of deck. Then throw on the cleaned,sharpened & balanced OE blades. Clean / sharpen & balance the Oregon blades ( I really like them).. And then do a lil cleaning, & everything else I forgot.. LOL
and, don't forget get to do the required 50 hours "Tires Air Change", remove the valve cores and release all the current old stagnant air, then replace with fresh 100% Pure Outside Air, you can't go wrong with that stuff..... Oh ya, I appreciate anyone who takes proper care of their equipment - just bust'n on ya :ROFLMAO: ... Happy Holidays !

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y)