My Husqvarna Eats Mandrel Pulleys

dixiebonsai

Threads
My YTH20K46 eats Mandrel Pulleys like there is no tommorow. May not be the pulleys fault though, I have aftermarket spindles.I put two pulleys on in four weeks earlier this summer.Parked it and jumped on another mower for a while, got fed up.The teeth are so fine on these pulleys, they round out very easily.Why cant they be course teeth so they dont round out so easy?Do you think they have AYP engineers who sit around and try and figure out how to get parts to fail quicker or is that just MTD that does that?
Anyone else run into an issue with aftermarket spindles eating mandrel pulleys?Could it be something else, out of alignment on the deck?It aint my grass ,I mow religiously although grass did grow like wildfire here in Tennessee this year.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My former craftsman tractor did the same, I was using aftermarket "Stens" (proudly made in china) spindles.

The fit to the pulleys was not a precise fit like oem was.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just ad a lock washer to the top and crank the nut down tight and run them.
Most mowers use just round anyways.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use Loctite Red 271 on the spindles.

dixiebonsai

Threads
Thank You reynoldston and Carcw for your ideas.I think I will combine your input and do both.I was considering since my spindles are prob Chinese junk and will prob have to be replaced soon ,just spot welding the mandrel to the spindle nut but getting them back off would be a $%&#@. Loctite probably wont be a walk in the park either but better than spot welding.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
you will find the a little heat will soften the Loctite but you can also use the removal able blue Loctite.

Lawn Addict
Threads
"just spot welding the mandrel to the spindle nut but getting them back off would be a $%&#@."

Naw, just use a hand held grinder to quickly remove the spot weld.

But I'd be more inclined to just use LocTite, & lock washer as was previously mentioned.