Multimeter recommendation for riding mower troubleshooting

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Multimeter recommendation for riding mower troubleshooting
The thing I use a multimeter for most on lawn mowers, etc., is continuity. Make sure the audible function is loud enough that you can hear it clearly and reacts instantly to a complete circuit. That was what I liked about the Velleman.

I'm on my second Klein and neither one reacts instantly and the audible tone is weak. I returned the first one, thinking it was defective but the second one is the same.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The thing I use a multimeter for most on lawn mowers, etc., is continuity. Make sure the audible function is loud enough that you can hear it clearly and reacts instantly to a complete circuit. That was what I liked about the Velleman.

I'm on my second Klein and neither one reacts instantly and the audible tone is weak. I returned the first one, thinking it was defective but the second one is the same.
Hm, my klein has a pretty good beep to it.... that cheaper tester i linked also has a red light on it that lights up when it detects continuity.

Jlandd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you everyone for the gracious info :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a test lamp more than a multi meter , I find it easier.
What eve you buy make sure it comes with a clip lead
You spend a lot of time checking for a ground short and it is so easy to clip one end to the battery +

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Use this 90% of the time

Got 2 of these.

Handy because it loads the circuit.

Good battery analyzer.

Joed756

Threads
I don't know your age, but if it was me, I'm old, I would have to ask myself mow badly I need a clamp-on ammeter if I've never used one before. In fact, based on what you have told us, I'd buy the cheapest meter I could find.

Mower bandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have my first riding mower (a not recent Craftsman/Briggs). Always been finicky to start but now it just clicks and rotates a few inches. So I need to get my first multimeter as I begin to learn to troubleshoot it. I’m certain if I went by reviews and then bought one based on general internet research it would be missing a critical function for this, since I’m a total noob here, but looking forward to doing the stuff owners can do.

What multimeter can anyone recommend that is a good unit under $100 for riding mower checking? Thanks in advance!!!

If its a ohv check valve clearance

ec121

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the starter just clicks and moves a few inches, clean your battery posts then buy a meter. My mower and JD tractor both need cleaning once in a while..

Gord Baker

Threads
Put in a known fully charged Battery and try it. Then look for clean battery and starter connections. Then look for loose terminal block near Key.

gamma_ray

Threads
I have my first riding mower (a not recent Craftsman/Briggs). Always been finicky to start but now it just clicks and rotates a few inches. So I need to get my first multimeter as I begin to learn to troubleshoot it. I’m certain if I went by reviews and then bought one based on general internet research it would be missing a critical function for this, since I’m a total noob here, but looking forward to doing the stuff owners can do.

What multimeter can anyone recommend that is a good unit under $100 for riding mower checking? Thanks in advance!!!

J
I've had several over the years. The one I use almost daily, I believe I got from The Home Depot and it works well enough for my purposes. I paid less than $40 fir it, I believe. The display lights up which is a plus for my almost 60 year old eyes.