Multimeter recommendation for riding mower troubleshooting

Jlandd

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Multimeter recommendation for riding mower troubleshooting
I have my first riding mower (a not recent Craftsman/Briggs). Always been finicky to start but now it just clicks and rotates a few inches. So I need to get my first multimeter as I begin to learn to troubleshoot it. I’m certain if I went by reviews and then bought one based on general internet research it would be missing a critical function for this, since I’m a total noob here, but looking forward to doing the stuff owners can do.

What multimeter can anyone recommend that is a good unit under $100 for riding mower checking? Thanks in advance!!!

J

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any of the Klein or Triplett brands will work fine for your needs. Do a google search and you will find them at Lowes, Menards, Tractor Supply, Home Depot stores.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

you'll want to set it on 20Volts DC for voltage checking
1625675464876.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I also have this meter i keep in my "go box". it's always accurate with my klein... i can also use it to hook on charging system wires to check amperage...

Jlandd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much, Rivets and Scrubcadet10, for your quick and helpful replies!
Noob question about the Clamp Meter: How do the functions of it compliment the multimeter? Is it mostly redundant but handy as an extra and smaller tool? Or do they share some functions but the Clamp Meter is what one would need for certain things and a worthwhile expense?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like Velleman better than Klein.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thanks so much, Rivets and Scrubcadet10, for your quick and helpful replies!
Noob question about the Clamp Meter: How do the functions of it compliment the multimeter? Is it mostly redundant but handy as an extra and smaller tool? Or do they share some functions but the Clamp Meter is what one would need for certain things and a worthwhile expense?
I went without a clamp meter for years... i only occasionally use it to check A/C amperage on charging wires... but for $5 more the klein will do you good.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The clamp meters are for measuring amperage. Multimeters can only measure up to about 10 amps because they're actually measuring amperage. Above that, you need the clamp meter. They sense the magnetic flux around the wire carrying current..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would for go a clamp on Amp accessories. Couldn’t tell you the last time I used one while doing small engine work, if ever.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If anyone is buying one these clamp meter I would getting the does both AC and DC amps so you can check starter current draw.. Here I got a regular DVMM with a add-on clamp adapter. I seldom use it but it is nice to have when I do.