Mower wont start.

Richard Milhous

Threads
I see no cracks. I found a youtube video demonstrating it and I don't see anything coming out so I guess it is probably that.

I seem to be able to find a replacement for as cheap as $10 so it seems like a pretty simple thing to just try.
The primer bulb can look perfect and still be worthless.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those air filter housings are known for warping
When they do the priming system fails because the air leaks out the back of the housing
Some times 2 gaskets fix it some times you have to replace the housing.
Another good idea in a design studio that is a total failure on the lawns.

eng3

Threads
So reporting back after the winter, I replaced the primer bulb (actually the whole Air Filter & Primer Base) and it still won't start. The chances of getting a bad one seems low but I'm not sure what else it could be. It is hard to tell if fuel is making it in as it is hard to see.

Reminder, mower wouldn't start towards the end of the last season. Spraying some carb cleaner in the cylinder caused it to start to the assumption was that the primer bulb was bad. Didn't really have a chance to test it til recently.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has been working fine all season. There has been a small fuel leak which only occurs while running.
Read what you wrote here again. Read it out loud.

Fuel leaks can burn the mower or garage slash house to the ground. Put new fuel line on her or repair the leak asap.
I am not exactly sure which direction the fuel flows in the carburetor. If there is fuel in the bowl, does it mean there is fuel/air getting to the cylinder?
No. Jets could be plugged up as well as the carb needle stuck closed. Agree with the other guys.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
take it to the local mower shop. The engine has a problem with the fuel system. It may also have a loose head based on the cloud of black smoke in the wrong spot.

eng3

Threads
take it to the local mower shop. The engine has a problem with the fuel system. It may also have a loose head based on the cloud of black smoke in the wrong spot.
That only occurs when starting by spraying carb cleaner into the cylinder, not on a normal start.

eng3

Threads
Read what you wrote here again. Read it out loud.

Fuel leaks can burn the mower or garage slash house to the ground. Put new fuel line on her or repair the leak asap.

No. Jets could be plugged up as well as the carb needle stuck closed. Agree with the other guys.
Maybe the a fuel leak could burn up the mower. Don't see how it could burn a garage/house down. The outside of the fuel line is dry so I don't think it is from there. I was going to get some of the fuel dye additive to try to track down where its coming from. Obviously from somewhere fuel only flows when the engine is running. Don't see the connection to the start issue.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
a gallon of gasoline has the explosive force of just under 100 sticks of dynamite. You really don't want ANY fumes or leakage in the garage. When gasoline burns it melts the tank and lets the gasoline flow all over everything. Spraying it with water just spreads it -and if things are hot the steam just makes a big cloud of flammable droplets. Think grease fire in a pan in the kitchen when someone pours water on it. You do not want a mower on fire in the garage.