mower turns over...kinda

Kfred92

Member
have an old mower with a 12.5 Briggs engine. Hasn't ran in years. Went to start it and will start To turn over, but then the flywheel locks up- ( engine doesn't crank) but if I manually spin the flywheel free and try again the engine will crank (these cranks aren't hard enough or spining enough for it to turn over and start. I'm wondering is the solenoid bad? Is the starter bad? If it's the solenoid can you rebuild it? Any other thoughts? Battery is fully charged and in good working order. I know it's electric if were talking about starting. Thanks
 
What is the model number of the engine? Depending on which Briggs model it is will help determine your problem. Solenoids generally don't drag, they tend to work, or not. A solenoid is generally not cost effective or practical to rebuild, you should be able to pick one up at any dealer for less than $15 bucks. I think your problem may lie within a a failing starter, valves being out of adjustment, or least likely, cam issues. Check your starter out first, then move on from there.
 
It hasn't run in years so take the spk plg out and crank it for about 15 seconds to circulate some oil and loosen up all the components that haven't moved in years. If that doesn't help, and you're "sure" the battery is at peak and the engine spins easily by hand, then a new starter is in order. Being that long, and once you're past the cranking issue, you might need to clean the gum out of the carb too.
 
have an old mower with a 12.5 Briggs engine. Hasn't ran in years. Went to start it and will start To turn over, but then the flywheel locks up- ( engine doesn't crank) but if I manually spin the flywheel free and try again the engine will crank (these cranks aren't hard enough or spining enough for it to turn over and start. I'm wondering is the solenoid bad? Is the starter bad? If it's the solenoid can you rebuild it? Any other thoughts? Battery is fully charged and in good working order. I know it's electric if were talking about starting. Thanks
**************************************************************
I don't know how you know the battery is in good working order unless you've had it load tested. But let's just go ahead and say it is in excellent condition for time being.

I would remove the spark plug as suggested and crank it some. Replace the plug and if the same symptoms prevail attach a good set of jumper cables directly to the + starter cable connection at the starter and the - cable connected to the starter case. ( last connection ) If it cranks you don't need a starter. If it doesn't crank and is an over head valve engine the next step is to adjust the valves so the compression relief works during cranking.

This may just save you from buying unnecessary expensive parts.
 
Thanks guys I tried a different starter today and that one did the same as the other so I believe it's the solenoid. Again it's gotta be electrical. But I will check the plug and carb. Is there any tests I can do to see if the starter or solenoid are bad?
 
like it was said before i think you need to have the battery load tested even if it is fully shared don't mean its good also look at all the connection make sure there clean and the grounds are grounded good but i think the problem is the battery since another started did the same thing and as said before a solenoid don't normally drag they either work or they don't and if the starter is trying to turn the engine then the solenoid is working but like also said before post the numbers of the engine cause if its over head valve then the valves could be out of adjustment
 
Put jumper cables on it if it turns over get a new battery. If does not turn Over take the + side of the jumper cable and touch it to the post on the starter. Report back after you do this

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Okay so the model # is 286707 . It's not an OHV but I had the solenoid tested and that's fine. I have no idea what it could be. It wants to turn over then the starter whines. I can spin the flywheel and it does it again. I thought it was the battery but it's fully charged and basically brand new
 
Again did you have the battery load tested?
Just because it reads 12 volts does not mean that it is good.
Did you try jumper cables ?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Back
Top