Mower suddenly can't stay running.(Kohler XT-675)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sure smell fuel when I attempt to start it
Carb needle sticking open.
So I should mention it is hard to pull the rope/turn the engine over.
Maybe hydrolocking the cylinder.

Pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel. If it smell like gas, clean or replace the needle/seat in the carb. This was mentioned previously with no action on your part.

Sescond try, where did you get this "new" carb" from?

juntjoo

Threads

Pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel. If it smell like gas, clean or replace the needle/seat in the carb. This was mentioned previously with no action on your part.

Sorry, must have missed that but it's a new carb from Amazon. Couldn't tell you any more than that. I punched in xt675 and it came up. There is fuel smell in the oil but it must have been from the old carb. With current one plug isn't getting wet and its new too. Currently not getting spark though. This is quite puzzling.

juntjoo

Threads
"sheered flywheel key". That's what I'm going to look into next. They said it often is from abuse and I kinda have abused my mower.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry, must have missed that but it's a new carb from Amazon. Couldn't tell you any more than that. I punched in xt675 and it came up.
Those carbs are a 50/50 gamble. Might work might not. Best to boil clean your OEM carb and replace needed parts.
There is fuel smell in the oil but it must have been from the old carb.
No way of confirming that for sure. You have fuel in the oil, yes. Fix the carb first then dump the oil a couple times. Do NOT use the mower until these 2 are done. Gas dilutes the oil........
With current one plug isn't getting wet and its new too.
All new parts require testing. New isn't new anymore.
Currently not getting spark though. This is quite puzzling.
Pull the kill wire off the coil. Engine should run the tank dry if you have spark. Need to load test your coil. Over gap an old plug at 1/4" (0.250") wide. Test plug grounded out for spark.

Air, fuel, spark and compression are necessary.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
try it with the spark plug removed and see if it spins freely. Do it outside in case there is fuel in the cylinder. If fuel mists out, check the oil level and if it smells like gasoline.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That definitely needs to be looked at.

On a carb, the round plate closest to the air filter is the choke plate. Round'ish plate closest to the engine is the throttle plate.

juntjoo

Threads
That definitely needs to be looked at.

On a carb, the round plate closest to the air filter is the choke plate. Round'ish plate closest to the engine is the throttle plate.
I've got it held open.

juntjoo

Threads
About to start over after soaking my old carb in acetone. Just wanted to post this while waiting. Haven't seen any vids on checking these. How does it look?
IMG_20220611_194154647.jpg